Pancetta Weight Loss

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Pancetta Weight Loss

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Being new to the branch of air-drying, I thought I had read that much on the subject to be confident in what I was doing.

How wrong can you be - I've been like an expectant father with my pancetta - lord knows what I'll be like with the chorizo I'm now doing!

Anyway, what's the expected weight loss percentage when doing pancetta - is it 30-40% like salami etc or should I be testing the AW.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Greyham » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi Wheels,
firstly let me ask what style of pancetta are you making? Has it been dry cured or wet cured? Whole belly or top end?
I make two kinds. traditional italian cured first then heavily peppered on both inside and out, then rolled and tied ready for hanging.
I hang for two-three weeks at first and go from there. The drier obviously the less weight it will be.
The 2nd version is dry cured and rested for a week before smoking. This i do in my rather large smoker in my garden. Cold smoke over oak for two weeks. Smoking obviously acts as both a preservative and aids in drying out the meat. Fat content is important here in choice of bellly. I sell this as smoked pancetta at various farmers markets and it is very popular.
Greyham
BANNED

Postby Greyham » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Oh wheels if you want my chorizo recipe let me know. I make about twenty kilos a week
Greyham
BANNED

Re: Pancetta Weight Loss

Postby Spuddy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:18 pm

wheels wrote:is it 30-40% like salami

Simple answer, no. I would aim for 20-30%.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby wittdog » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Greyham wrote:Oh wheels if you want my chorizo recipe let me know. I make about twenty kilos a week

I am interested in a good chorizo recipe...if you could post it or PM it that would be great.
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Greyham wrote:Oh wheels if you want my chorizo recipe let me know. I make about twenty kilos a week

Yes please, maybe in a new thread so I can find it later?

Thanks for all your replies

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:53 pm

Greyham wrote:Hi Wheels,
firstly let me ask what style of pancetta are you making? Has it been dry cured or wet cured? Whole belly or top end?

Mine's a dry cured unsmoked tesa - front end of the belly.

The 2nd version is dry cured and rested for a week before smoking. This i do in my rather large smoker in my garden. Cold smoke over oak for two weeks. Smoking obviously acts as both a preservative and aids in drying out the meat. Fat content is important here in choice of bellly. I sell this as smoked pancetta at various farmers markets and it is very popular.

I'm glad to know that your customers like it. I assume that you roll this as an Arrotolata? Two weeks seems heck of a long smoking time - even trickle smoked - I only like my (streaky) done for 24 hours or so.

I notice that you say on another post that you don't use any nitrates in your bacon, do you use nitrites? Does this also apply to smoked bacon where the anerobic, slightly warm (well, above the safe zone), temperatures are the conditions that Clostridium botulinum favours?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Pancetta Weight Loss

Postby jasonmolinari » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:58 pm

wheels wrote:Being new to the branch of air-drying, I thought I had read that much on the subject to be confident in what I was doing.

How wrong can you be - I've been like an expectant father with my pancetta - lord knows what I'll be like with the chorizo I'm now doing!

Anyway, what's the expected weight loss percentage when doing pancetta - is it 30-40% like salami etc or should I be testing the AW.

Phil

Given the quantity of fat in pork belly you won't get as much weight loss as in a salame. (the meat contains much more water than the fat). For pancetta i do it more by feel than by weight loss. My guess would be somewhere around 20% loss by the times it's done.
jasonmolinari
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:58 pm

I took it to around 30% - it was great!

Congratulations on a brilliant recipe. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby jasonmolinari » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:23 am

Thanks. I'm glad it worked out for you!
jasonmolinari
Registered Member