Oddley's corned beef

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:22 pm

That looks superb :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fremented » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Question, after making the pumping brine, when do you add the None soluble ingredients? I take it, they are added to the pumping brine for some period of time after they cool down?

Another dumb Q, where do you find juniper berries? Or do I have to fight the birds for them? Can they be replaced?

wheels wrote:Here you go Wallie;

I have a great recipe using a combination of pump and dry rub. I'll post it for you but I formulate and keep my recipes in percent format for batch conversion for any size meat.

Quote:
My Corned beef

To be pumped at 10% of meat weight

Ingredient

% Percent
76.075 % water
15 % Sea Salt
7.5 % Sugar
1.275 % Cure #1 (75 ppm)
0.15 % Saltpetre (150 ppm)

Bring to the boil the water in a large saucepan add all the ingredients except the cure #1 and saltpetre. Stir well over a low heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved allow to boil for 1-2 minutes, remove from the heat, cool completely. Then add Cure #1 and saltpetre, stir until completely dissolved.

Insoluble ingredients for brine: Usage 2.2 % of brine
Ingredients

% Percent
2.8409 % Black peppercorns
4.4318 % Juniper berries
1.7045 % cloves
1.7045 % whole Coriander seeds
89.3182 % bunch parsley stalks

Dry cure

Of meat weight

% Percent
1.5% Salt
0.75% Sugar
0.1274 % Cure #1 (75 ppm)
0.015% Saltpetre (150 ppm)

Pump meat at 10% meat weight. Then rub outside of meat with the dry cure. Vac pack or put into a zip lock bag for about 10 days. Then cook or freeze.

Pressure cooker Method

Bring enough water to boil to reach the trivet plate. Put the corned beef in the pressure cooker on the trivet. Put the lid on and bring the pressure cooker up to the 2nd ring 15 psi for 1 hour. let pressure natrually reduce.

Pot Method

Cover the meat with water and add the Cooking ingredients, bring to the boil. Simmer until internal tempreture reaches 74�C.

Cooking ingredients

boquet garni
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 garlic bulb, cut in half across middle

Is this the one you're after?

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3297

Phil
fremented
Registered Member

Postby clivmar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi fermented,

I ground the Insoluble ingredients in a coffee grinder and mixed with the cooled brine. Filter the brine to stop the pump from clogging.

Clive
clivmar
clivmar
Registered Member

Postby wallie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:20 am

Question, after making the pumping brine, when do you add the None soluble ingredients? I take it, they are added to the pumping brine for some period of time after they cool down?

Another dumb Q, where do you find juniper berries? Or do I have to fight the birds for them? Can they be replaced?

As Oddley states:

Bring to the boil the water in a large saucepan add all the ingredients except the cure #1 and saltpetre. Stir well over a low heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved allow to boil for 1-2 minutes, remove from the heat, cool completely. Then add Cure #1 and saltpetre, stir until completely dissolved.

So you are boiling the above plus the insolubles then straining it off.

Regarding the juniper berries, nearly all the big supermarkets stock them, I generally buy the Rajah brand at a local Chinese store.

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Wegmans (Super Market) carrys Juniper Berrys in the bulk spice section
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby fremented » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:27 pm

I did not know what to do for the berries or cooking. So, I dissolved the sugar/salt in boil. Tossed in a shot 25ml of Gin, alc cook off. added the rest of stuff, reheated just under boil, turn off heat let sit 30 mins, strained, pumped.

Being instructions are not real clear, see how this works, if not another shot of gin or two prolly work :)
fremented
Registered Member

Postby fremented » Wed May 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Some time has passed after making this. I just wanted to add my results, now I did not follow oddleys recipe to exact. The juniper berries were not available around here. Soak times, etc. Well, my results were not that good, I can say I will not try my method a 2nd time. This is not to say Oddleys recipe is not good by any means, just the want add my recipe method is not advised.

fremented wrote:I did not know what to do for the berries or cooking. So, I dissolved the sugar/salt in boil. Tossed in a shot 25ml of Gin, alc cook off. added the rest of stuff, reheated just under boil, turn off heat let sit 30 mins, strained, pumped.

Being instructions are not real clear, see how this works, if not another shot of gin or two prolly work :)
fremented
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:21 am

I do not have any way of pumping the brine, will the dry cure part work on it's own, a small piece of silverside - 730g in weight
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Use this bresaola recipe here:

Paul Kribs wrote:I currently have 2 pieces of topside curing in the fridge for bresaola. I am making the recipe taken from the book 'Charcuterie' by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. It is similar to Len's recipe but omits stuffing into casings. It calls for 2 curings of 7 days each and then hanging for about 3 weeks.

Bresaola

One 3 lb beef eye of the round roast, no more than 3" in diameter, trimmed of all visible fat, sinew, and silverskin.

The Spice Cure

25 grams kosher salt
30 grams sugar
4 grams Prague powder #2
5 grams freshly ground black pepper
6 grams chopped fresh rosemary
6 grams fresh thyme leaves
5 juniper berries crushed with the side of a knife

1. Combine all the spice cure ingredients in a spice or coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder.

2. Rub ½ the spice cure over the meat, rubbing well in. Place in a 2 gallon/8 litre Ziplock bag or nonreactive container and refrigerate for 7 days, turning it every couple of days.

3. Remove the beef from the liquid ( discard it ) and rub in the remaining spice cure. Return to the refrigerator for 7 more days.

4. Rinse the beef thoroughly under cold water to remove any remaing spices and pat dry with paper towels. Set on a rack on a baking sheet uncovered at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.

5. Tie the beef with butchers twine. Hang the meat (ideally 60degF / 15degC with 60%-70% RH) for about 3 weeks. The meat should feel firm on the outside and silky smooth when sliced.

Regards, Paul Kribs

but remember to swap the spices and herbs over 8)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Looks about right, think I'll be okay. Just used salt, sugar and cure #1, quantities seem okay
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:35 am

Richierich wrote:I do not have any way of pumping the brine, will the dry cure part work on it's own, a small piece of silverside - 730g in weight

No it won't - it only contains half of the required ingredients.

Please don't 'cherry pick' bits from these type of cures. Either do what the recipe says, or use a different recipe.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Richierich » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:28 am

Thanks for the response Phil, is it salvageable? I rubbed in 10.9g Salt, 5.5g sugar and 0.9g of Cure #1, vac packed and fridged. Weight of meat was 730g.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:00 am

If you check the bresaola recipe you will see that it is a two stage process. In effect you have done stage one. Leave it a couple of days, drain off any liquid and rub in an additional 0.925g cure #1, 5.5g sugar and 10.9g salt. Note though that the bresaola recipe is really meant to produce a dry cured hung product which is why it uses cure #2. You may be better to just add the extra ingredients now, I'm not entirely sure of the best way to proceed at this stage. You should be OK with this one but as Phil said, it's best not to mix and match methods.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:59 am

saucisson wrote:If you check the bresaola recipe you will see that it is a two stage process. In effect you have done stage one. Leave it a couple of days, drain off any liquid and rub in an additional 0.925g cure #1, 5.5g sugar and 10.9g salt.

Just remembered I have not done anything with this lump of beef, is it too late to add the above ingredients do you think?
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Do it today, stop reading this post and get on with it now :D

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes for cured meats