Correct quantities of curing salts

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Correct quantities of curing salts

Postby Bakubod » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:26 am

Sorry if this is completey ridiculous but I don't know where else to get the info I need, so thanks in advance.
I've been dry and wet curing using salt only with limited success, I checked the curing products available on this site and want to try the Plain Brine Cure (so I can add my own spices), All Purpose Curing Salt and the Traditional Dry Bacon Cure. I thought I would ring the contact number to get an idea of how much I needed for given quantities of meat. The lady I spoke to was very helpful but unable to give me all the info I needed, it seems that not all the necessary instructions are given when you buy the products. I was told The Plain Brine Cure is 100gms per litre of water but no mention of meat quantity.
Can anyone shed some light for me please? I want to use Plain Brine Cure, All Purpose Curing Salt and the Traditional Dry Bacon Cure.
:?
Bakubod
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 am

Hi Bakubod.

I can only give a bit of guidance on the dry cure (I use the smoked bacon dry cure from the site). I understand that the smallest size is a 1kg bag. The smoked cure is used at a rate of 40g per Kg of meat, and I think the unsmoked cure is 30g per Kg of meat. Thus the smoked cure will do 25kg of meat from the 1kg bag and the unsmoked should cure 33kg of meat.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Bakubod

Re: the plain brine cure - how much this will cure is more restricted by how much meat you can cover with 1 litre of liquid (plus cure), than by how much meat it could in theory cure.

In a close fitting container, for a small piece of meat, I guess about 2kg (maximum) in 1 litre of liquid. Larger pieces of meat will be covered by proportionally less cure, as a guide I recently cured 7kg ham and a pork hock, pump then immersion, in just over 3 litres.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Bakubod » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Great, very helpful thanks. I'll give it a go.
Bakubod
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats