Jerky

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Jerky

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:35 pm

Oddley wrote:Bob, would you like to tell us about your jerky making and perhaps lead us by the hand through a jerky making session.

NB: The procedure below applies only to ground meat jerky. You use a different process for making solid meat jerky.

I start with ground chuck which I either grind myself from chuck roast or buy in the form of lean hamburger meat. Do not use cuts of beef that are not well marbled - chuck is really the only meat you want to use. And don't pay attention to those who claim you can get by with 90% lean - the jerky will come out like sawdust. Do not use adjuncts like breadcrumbs because it will mess up the texture.

You can buy jerky seasonings but we like a spice we get from McCormick called "Fajita Seasoning". Any spice that is used to flavor beef will work. Or you can make a soy and brown suger concoction laced with a little Worchestershire sauce. Another spice that is tasty is a Cuban cessina spice made by Badia. Many recipes call for teriyaki sauce too.

You must use a curing salt like Mortons Tender Quick, which is like Prague #2 with both nitrite and nitrate. The maker of the LEM Jerky Gun claims you should refrigerate the jerky after cooking, but we eat it so quickly that we keep it on the kitchen counter, and therefore it is critical to prevent bacterial growth.

I use 1 tsp. curing salt per pound, but that may be too much salt depending on the spices you choose. I suspect you could get the preservative effect from as little as 1/4 t. per lb. - perhaps someone can comment on this. Then I add 1 TBS. McCormick Fajita Seasoning and after mixing I put the meat in a plastic freezer bag for "curing" in the refrigerator overnight.

The next day I flatten the plastic bag on a cutting board and cut right thru the plastic making square cylinders of meat for loading into the meat tube of the jerky gun. Be sure to either wet the surface of the meat slightly or wet the interior of the meat tube so the meat won't stick too much.

I have two kinds of nozzles - one makes a flat strip of jerky about 1/8" thick and the other makes a round stick about 1/2" dia. We make both kinds. I have a Nesco dehydrator with large trays, so I squirt the meat strips/sticks directly onto the trays with the gun. If you don't have a jerky gun, you can roll the meat into round sticks like you would roll dough on a cutting board.

Then the dehydrator is turned on to the highest setting (155F) and the meat is heated for at least 4 hours, turning it at 2 hours. We like the jerky a bit on the chewy side so we let it go as long as 6-8 hours. If you don't have a dehydrator you can cook the meat in the oven on a rack at 200F for 4 hours. The smell from cooking the spiced meat will fill the house with a pleasant odor.

I just made a batch using the spices that came with the LEM Jerky Gun and although I like my own spices better, they did put something in that made the meat come out chewier - almost rubbery. I suspect it's that chemical called sodium erythrobate or maybe it's propylene glycol. Maybe I will call Allied Kenco to see what they know about this.

After drying/cooking the jerky we keep it on the kitchen counter in a large tumbler and munch on it throughout the day and night. It does not take long to eat a pound of meat, so watch your waist line if you get hooked on it. If you want to cut down on temptation to eat too much, put most of it in the refrigerator out of sight - it will keep longer that way.

There are many books on amazon.com about making jerky but you will have to experiment to get it right because most books are afraid to tell you that you need a some fat to make edible ground meat jerky.

If you buy a lean chuck roast that has exterior fat removed and grind it, you will get about 25% fat. I buy the cut which has the short rib and remove it for grilling. What remains is about the right percentage fat for me, which I estimate to be around 30%. Someday I may dissect a roast to see what the fat percent is.

If there is too much fat, it will cook out at 155F and the bottom of your dehydrator will be covered in grease. That will tell you to lower the fat content. When the surface of the cooked jerky is lightly coated with a film of grease, that's the right amount of fat in the meat. Remove the film by rinsing with water and then dry with a paper towel - or it may go rancid if you keep it out for several days.

If you buy ground chuck and see much visible fat in it, then it is probably too fatty. I have a butcher who uses only well trimmed chuck which has just the right amount of fat in it. I pick the packages where there is no visible fat except for the lone speck or two. He charges the same for the ground chuck as his roasts, so I believe he is using well-trimmed meat.

Oddley wrote:Are the spice mixtures dry or can you add pastes.

I have seen recipes for dry ingredients and wet ingredients. Anything you would mix into ground beef for flavoring will work. In effect you are making a form of beef sausage which is air-dried.

Which reminds me - I need to try the recipe for genoa salami. I wonder is 4-8 hours at 155F is enough to get some fermentation going.

Oddley wrote:Would cure #1 be OK to use seeing as the cure time is short.

I have always used Morton's Tender Quick, which is like Prague #2.

It is my understanding that the active ingredient is sodium nitrite and the purpose of sodium nitrate in #2 is to act as a slow-release agent for the creation of additional sodium nitrite over a longer period. IOW, it's not the cure time but the storage time that determines the use of #2.

We consume our jerky so quickly that I doubt we even need sodium nitrate. For example, this last batch was removed from the dehydrator early yesterday evening and it is already half gone. We go thru jerky at about 1 lb starting meat weight in 24 hours.

If you want to use #1 because that's what you have, I suppose it would not hurt to refrigerate the jerky if your consumption rate is low. The maker of the seasoning I used that came with the LEM Jerky Gun states that I should refrigerate my jerky.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:18 pm

Ahhhh thats better.

Bob as you know in the UK jerky making is not a well known sport. Therefore we cannot get the spice mixtures you can. I would first like to produce what may be called a traditional taste/texture before I venture off in my own direction.

Could you therefore recommend a spice mixture recipe say one of the ones published on the allied kenco site.

I intend to roll out the meat mixture with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/8 in then cut it into strips of 1/2 in by 2 in long. put it on a rack in the oven on a low gas to an internal meat temp of 160 deg F then crack the door and leave for about 8 hours to dry out. Would this be right?

I'll probably do this at the weekend.
Oddley
Registered Member

Jerky Sites

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:47 pm

Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:33 pm

Oddley wrote:Could you therefore recommend a spice mixture recipe say one of the ones published on the allied kenco site.

Most jerky marinades are for solid meat, not ground meat. However, any of them can be adapted if you treat them like sausage seasoning. After all, ground beef jerky is just a form of cured, force-dried beef sausage.

NB: I have never seen a jerky recipe that uses ground pork. I do not recommend using pork in ground meat jerky. But that does not mean you can't use the seasoning recipes for pork sausage, although the thought of sage in jerky is not very appealing.

You can select any of the solid jerky marinades on the Kenco website and modify them for ground beef jerky. Just be sure to use 1 t. Mortons Tender Quick curing salt or equivalent per pound - and do not use any other salt.

I have my own corned beef pastrami concoction that I use to marinade beef briskets. I have modified it for use in ground beef jerky and it comes out pretty good.

1 lb. ground chuck
1 t. Morton's Tender Quick
1/2 t. dark brown sugar
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. coarse ground black pepper
1/2 t. ground mustard
1/4 t. ground cloves

Here's a couple more recipes I adapted from:

Just Jerky: The Complete Guide to Making It
by Mary Bell
Paperback: 139 pages
Publisher: Dry Store Publishing Company
1st ed edition (August 1, 1996)
ISBN: 0965357201

I would add some Worchestershire sauce to the Soy recipe.

Teriyaki Jerky
1 lb. chuck
1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
1 t. Mortons curing salt
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. coarse ground pepper
1/2 t. liquid smoke

Soy Jerky
1 lb. chuck
1/2 c. soy sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1 t. Mortons curing salt
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. coarse ground pepper
1/2 t. ginger

I intend to roll out the meat mixture with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/8 in then cut it into strips of 1/2 in by 2 in long, put it on a rack in the oven on a low gas to an internal meat temp of 160 deg F then crack the door and leave for about 8 hours to dry out. Would this be right?

The intructions on the back of that seasoning that came with the LEM Jerky Gun tell you to set the oven for 200F and dry 1/8" thick strips for one hour and fifteen minutes on each side or until jerky reaches the desired degree of doneness. They also talk about making 1/2" diameter sticks which you should cook for 45 minutes on each side.

After cooking you are supposed to dry the pieces in the refrigerator for 48 to 72 hours. Supposedly if you put them in a kraft paper bag it will help dry them out. You will have to decide how to cook them in the oven for yourself - I have always used an electric forced-air dehydrator.

I'll probably do this at the weekend.

Just do a lot of sampling or else you could overcook them - and there is no way to rehydrate them successfully because you have also cooked the fat out. I would check them every 15 minutes. If they seem raw then cook them some more. Do not let the oven temperature go above 200F or you will end up with meatloaf strips. You will have to raise the temperature slightly if you go into the oven every 15 minutes. I recommend an oven thermometer - that way you will know the temperature no matter what you are doing.

The best advice I can give the first time jerky maker is to make a small batch, test it and modify the recipe until you have it right. Then you can make several pounds at a time.

I am not bothered about eating raw beef so I sample the mix after putting the seasonings in. That way I can prevent over seasoning. That's the best way to season your meat.

I once lived in the Midwest around people who ate lots of raw meat and drank lots of beer at the same time. We used to put ultra-lean ground sirloin on minature party rye bread with some Laury's Seasoned Salt and granulated garlic plus a very thin slice of onion. It was called a Cannibal Burger. The Polish in the Midwest put warm raw beef in a large bowl and sit around a beer keg scooping it up by the handful.

The Lebanese equivalent is called Raw Kibbe made from lamb. I buy it by the pound from Abdullah's in Houston and put it on pita with Lebanese garlic sauce, hommos bi' tahini and baba g'nouch. Outasight!

It's all very delicious but you must be able to eat raw meat to enjoy it. Jerky is the next best thing, followed by sausage.
Bob
Registered Member

Lawry's Seasoned Salt Clone

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:10 pm

Bob wrote
We used to put ultra-lean ground sirloin on minature party rye bread with some Laury's Seasoned Salt and granulated garlic plus a very thin slice of onion.

As Lawry's Seasoned Salt used to be unavailable in the UK, I post the following recipe.

Lawry's Seasoned Salt Clone
2 Tblspns Salt
2 tspns Granulated Sugar
1/2 tspn Paprika
1/4 tspn Tumeric
1/4 tspn Onion Powder
1/4 tspn Garlic Powder
1/4 tspn Cornstarch (Corn Flour)

Combine and store in an airtight container.

I hope that this is of some use to you

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:08 pm

Looking over the jerky sites I've noticed that the mince is recommended to be minced on the 1/8 in meat screen. I've just ordered one for my mincer off Kenwood �16 bloody outrageous. Oh well there ya go.

I'll wait until it arrives then give the jerky a go. Thanks for the info Bob I'll probably be back asking questions. Cheers Parson for the links.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:46 pm

Oddley wrote:Looking over the jerky sites I've noticed that the mince is recommended to be minced on the 1/8 in meat screen.

Yes, you want hamburger grind which is the 1/8" plate.

I've just ordered one for my mincer off Kenwood �16 bloody outrageous. Oh well there ya go.

I bought a 3-hole plate in stainless that cost me $20 from Kenco. The typical stainless plate costs around $16 - so there's that one-to-one pricing again.

I'll wait until it arrives then give the jerky a go.

Not necessary to wait - just run the meat through the 3/16" plate two times until the new plate comes. You do not want an emulsion.

BTW, I use the 1/8" plate to make frankfurter emulsion. I also grind pure fat thru it so I have something that will mix well with lean pork (which I run thru a larger plate).

Thanks for the info Bob I'll probably be back asking questions.

Why not just buy a pound of lean ground chuck at the grocery and get on with it. It goes very quickly.

Oh, I forgot - the Metric Police will put you in prison if you try to buy anything measured in English units. Totally lunatic, just like the article I read in The Telegraph this morning where the govt spend hundreds of Pounds and tied up a helicopter and an airplane over an incident where a woman was driving with an apple in her hand.

And to think England was once the inventor of modern civilization. :cry:

My grandfather was an Englishman a couple of generations removed and I know he is spinning in his grave over what has happened over there.
Bob
Registered Member

US vs UK

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:01 pm

Bob wrote
My grandfather was an Englishman a couple of generations removed

I'm glad that in the US that grandfathers are still a couple of generations removed. It's been like that in the UK forever. I think I know what you mean.

And yes the "1 to 1 just change the currency symbol" practice still exists.

You wrote
Oh, I forgot - the Metric Police will put you in prison if you try to buy anything measured in English units.

they are actually IMPERIAL units and NOT English units

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Re: US vs UK

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:16 pm

Parson Snows wrote:Bob wrote
My grandfather was an Englishman a couple of generations removed

I'm glad that in the US that grandfathers are still a couple of generations removed. It's been like that in the UK forever. I think I know what you mean.

His family tree includes John Carrol of Carrolton, Illinois, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. My mother traced his family back to a place called Scruby, England.

And yes the "1 to 1 just change the currency symbol" practice still exists.

I suspect that is because freight is so expensive, and then there's the VAT.

You wrote
Oh, I forgot - the Metric Police will put you in prison if you try to buy anything measured in English units.

they are actually IMPERIAL units and NOT English units

Americans use the term "English Measure" or "British Measure". The term "Imperial" always refers to "The Royals" (a bunch of Germans living in England pretending to be from Royal British ancestory.)
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:41 pm

Bob it seems at every opportunity you have a bash at us Brits It's actually quite funny.
Bob wrote:Oh, I forgot - the Metric Police will put you in prison if you try to buy anything measured in English units. Totally lunatic, just like the article I read in The Telegraph this morning where the govt spend hundreds of Pounds and tied up a helicopter and an airplane over an incident where a woman was driving with an apple in her hand.

And to think England was once the inventor of modern civilization.

My grandfather was an Englishman a couple of generations removed and I know he is spinning in his grave over what has happened over there.

All the incidents you refer to are isolated, It would be like me thinking all Americans were like those on "Americas Dumbest Criminals". Britain is a good place to live I would be nowhere else. The levels of crime are low even central London is a pretty safe place. Firearm crime is one of the lowest in the world as is murders. I could only wish for you to be as safe as me.

I was watching the Royal Institution Christmas lectures a while ago and it seems that if we would like to continue to live a reasonable life we will all have to accept compromise or with Global warming we will have no future. This is especially so in the US as north Americans consume twice as much resources per head as Europeans. Well according to the scientists.

Bob come over to England and see for yourself a lot of Americans like it over here. Do us a favour when you go back take Madonna with you.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:16 pm

Oddley wrote:I could only wish for you to be as safe as me.

Don't worry - I am much safer than you will ever be. For one thing, I can use deadly force to end home invasion without the fear of being imprisoned. In fact, the District Attorney would not even ask the Grand Jury for an indictment.

If you are referring to those leftist hellholes where citizens are not allowed to own guns, and therefore crime is rampant, do not confuse Texas with America. We did not sign the surrender at Appomattox Courthouse that ended the War of Northern Aggression. The Union Army had to come down here and subjugate Texas like the Russian Army subjugated Eastern Europe.

with Global warming we will have no future.

Don't worry - there is no such thing as "global warming".

But you would have to be a real scientist to understand that.

Bob come over to England and see for yourself a lot of Americans like it over here.

You are not allowed to keep and bear arms. That means one of two things:

1. Your govt does not trust you, so you must live in a totalitarian dictatorship like unarmed wimp peasants, OR

2. You are a bunch of barbarians who can't be trusted with arms.

Either way, I could not live like that.

However, I understand that 71% of those surveyed by The Telegraph recently want a Make My Day law and 81% want to be able to use deadly force for self defense without fear of imprisonment or civil lawsuit.

So what did Emperor Tony have to say about that - he told his majority in Parliament not to vote on a Members Bill which would fix things in favor of the citizen. So much for "democracy", eh.

Can you say "totalitarian dictatorship"? There, I knew you could.

When you all finally revolt (eg, join the Countryside Alliance) and return Britain to its former heritage, let me know and I will come there. I love British Ale (I used to make it from scratch) and obviously I love English Sausage.

Plus seeing the streets of London lined with heads of traitors on the ends of pikes would be quite a sight to observe first hand. Be sure to get all the commie traitors who want to hand your sovereignty over to the Hun by forcing you to join the single currency.

In the meantime, if any of you is fed up with the absurd situation in Britain, then come to Houston where many of your countrymen have moved. Britain is the largest overseas trading partner of Houston, and there are a lot of expat British living here.

They tell me that there is absolutely no way they would ever return to Old Blimey, not in a million years. Maybe it's because they don't have to wait 14 months for a hospital bed. Or maybe it's because they can wear arms like Free Englishman (cf. English Bill of Rights 1688-89).
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:26 pm

Bob wow that was a mouthful of extremist rhetoric.

M8 I don't pretend to be a scientist at all would you like to explain to me why there is no such thing as Global warming.

I would be happy to believe it if it were proven.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:55 pm

Oddley wrote:[color=indigo]Bob wow that was a mouthful of extremist rhetoric.

Not "extremist at all. It's Texas Conservative rhetoric, Moderate Right. Of course, on the British political spectrum where there is no Right Wing, it looks like extremism.

Just ask what would have happened if Ronald Reagan had been a political candidate in 1980 in Britain. He would have been tarred, feathered and run off the island the moment he opened his mouth.

I don't pretend to be a scientist at all would you like to explain to me why there is no such thing as Global warming.

Extensive satellite studies conducted by American scientists - meteorologists, climatologists, et al - in conjunction with NASA, determined conclusively that there was no such thing as "global warming" due to "greenhouse gases". In fact the measurements indicate that the Earth is cooling slightly.

These same scientists testified in Congressional Hearings under oath that there is no such thing as "global warming". I seriously doubt the entire science community is perjuring itself.

Many years ago Al Gore managed to talk Congress into spending $2 billion on studies about "global warming", and it's been like a whorehouse on Saturday night since. A small army of junk scientists slopped at the trough like pigs in shit to get some of that money.

They concocted junk science computer programs that they use to make all sorts of absurd projections way beyond the limits of computability. It is widely known in scientific circles that because of the nonlinear equations involved in climatology, chaos sets in about 5-8 days from the start of a calculation. But these clowns with their computer programs somehow manage to project literally decades into the future. The result is a complete farce.

It's all a big scam promoted by lots of easy govt money. If the real scientific community believed any of it, they would be all over it like they did with "cold fusion" and other alleged breakthroughs that went nowhere.
Bob
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:14 pm

Thanks for answering.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:29 am

Oddley wrote:Thanks for answering.

I would like to get back to sausage and jerky making. Politics belongs on another forum like <uk.politics.misc> which I visit a couple times a year.

Let us know if you try some this weekend. You can use store-prepared ground chuck if it is not too fatty, and even if it is, the fat will render to grease leaving you with delicious jerky if you wash the grease off after cooking.

In fact, for your first attempt I would rather see you use fattier chuck to err on the safe side. You do not want to make ground beef jerky without enough fat or it will end up like tasting like a wood pencil no matter what else you do to it.

I will issue this warning one last time: If you succeed in making good-tasting ground chuck jerky, you will become addicted. Put it out in a glass tumbler in plain sight and every time you pass by you will not be able to resist the urge to grab a piece. For that reason I cut it into smaller pieces. All it really takes is a piece about 2" long to satisfy your craving for a while.

If you use my corned beef pastrami seasonings, you will get delicious jerky - I guarantee it. Just remember not to exceed 200F oven temp or you will ruin it. I would try 175F to be on the safe side. In a couple hours you will achieve 165F internal temp.

Now go make some and get hooked.
Bob
Registered Member

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats