First Recipes

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

First Recipes

Postby schlafsack » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:14 pm

I've recently been bitten by the curing bug and have done a considerable amount of reading on the topic.

As with all beginners it seems, I initially was very confused about the amount of cure to use. Although this has become a lot clearer thanks to this site. In all of the recipes I've attempted I've used ~0.25% grammes of cure to grammes of meat. This seams consistent with most recipes I've found online and with the instructions on the packet.

I've jumped in at the deep and I'm trying four recipies:

Pancetta
I first saw this recipe on Jason Molinari's blog (thanks++ - your blog was what kicked the whole thing off for me). I've pretty much followed his recipe to the letter:
  • pork 1175.0
  • salt 28.2
  • black pepper 21.7
  • brown sugar 13.5
  • cure#2 3.1
  • juniper 5.1
  • bay 0.8
  • nutmeg 2.2
  • thyme 1.4
  • garlic x1
Coppa
The second recipe I've tried is a coppa. I had a little difficulty getting the cut but managed to get hold of a very small piece. Again I've followed Jason's recipe but I've upped the fennel a little and included a little rosemary.
  • pork 375.0
  • salt 13.1
  • white pepper 3.8
  • cloves 0.4
  • cinnamon 0.3
  • cure#2 0.9
  • juniper 0.8
  • fennel 1.3
  • rosemary 0.5
Lonzino
Followed Jason's recipe again. I used tenderloin instead of the actual loin by mistake, hence the small piece of meat. I'm hoping that it will turn out ok.
  • pork 335.0
  • salt 11.1
  • white pepper 3.2
  • cure#2 0.8
  • juniper 0.7
  • fenel seed 1.7
  • cinnamon 0.2
  • clove x1
Lomo
This is a complete experiment. I've based it on the lonzino, but included garlic, sugar and paprika.
  • pork 235.0
  • salt 8.2
  • white pepper 2.4
  • brown sugar 2.7
  • paprika 3.5
  • cure#2 0.6
  • bay 0.2
  • fennel 0.8
  • garlic x1
All measurements are in grammes. I'm planning on using natural casings for the coppa and lonzino and I'll wrap the lomo in muslin. I'm curing all of them for 9-10 days and then drying until they have lost 30-35% by weight.

Have I made any terrible mistakes here? Comments most welcome.
schlafsack
Registered Member

Postby jasonmolinari » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Sounds like you'll have a busy weekend!:)

I'm glad my blog is useful, and got you kickstarted into this great, and delicious, hobby! that was my goal.

The only advice i might have is that the tenderloin might be a little salty if you cure it for too long since it's so much smaller than the loin.
jasonmolinari
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats