Christmas attempt at salt beef

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Christmas attempt at salt beef

Postby dbairduk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Well this is my 3rd attempt at salt beef now.
This is my recipe
2kg topside/rump beef (half price in sainsburys)
60g sea salt
30g dark sugar
1 large teaspoon pickling spice
8 juniper berrys
10-12 black pepper corns
1tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1g saltpetre

blended ingredients and rubbed well, wrapped in cling film and top shelf of the fridge.

My previous attemptes at salt beef the meat had only just started to turn red/pink. Will adding asorbic acid help this? or will it dispose of the nitrites?

Also when i made salt beef with briskett it fell apart to easy when I cut it.
Does anyone know how to get it moist like when you buy cooked pastrami?

I would like to cure this for 2 weeks and cook between christmas and new year.
--------

Dave
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Just an opinion but ive found cure no 1 to be more reliable than salt petre for coulour.You could use saltpetre if you like the taste and add cure no.2 to give 100 ppm.Sodium ascorbate should be a help. Ive found beef harder to cure than pork(from a colour perspetive)

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:57 pm

I agree with Jim. Beef doesn't seem to absorb cure like pork does. The cure time of 2 weeks is too short IMO for a 2 kg piece of meat using saltpetre. I'd use cure #1 (OK, plus saltpetre if you must - just for the taste!) and still cure it for as long as possible.

However, to be sure of it being OK in the timescale you want, I'd injection cure it.

The art of cooking salt beef, or any brisket, is to cook it at a nice low temperature for a long time (120°C - 140°C) for 4 or 5 hours. I braise mine in a well sealed pot about ¼ submerged in stock or water with carrots, onions, celery etc. I don't usually go by weight but by thickness of the rolled piece (assuming it's rolled). Too little cooking and it's tough, too long and it all falls apart. You can tell by the feel of the meat and by how easily a skewer goes into it, but it's still a cross he fingers and pray job. It's the one cooking meat job where I wouldn't rely on a thermometer.

Pastrami is of course cooked differently, being a smoked product.

I hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby dbairduk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

i keep meaning to order some cure#1, but always put it off until I can think what else I need to justify the postage...
Could i safely get an injector on the weekend and inject some also with my recipe? or am I at the safe level already?
--------

Dave
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:19 am

I think you will be OK as you are :) Just be patient... What you have done is set up a long term cure, this one won't be ready for Christmas , IMHO. Leave it and then dry it to get a bresaola. Start again if you want a cured beef to cook at Christmas. I can send you some cure#1 to get a new joint going, PM me your address if you would like some.

Dave

PS, I just ordered some cure #1 this morning, amongst other things. If I'd realised I could have added some more on and posted it on to you. P&P charges are a killer, but small businesses have to charge them to survive. Franco's are pretty good when you compare them across the board, but they do hurt when you only want a small order. I try and save up until I need a few things.

Dave
Last edited by saucisson on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby dbairduk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:23 pm

i keep meaning to try a beresola or chortizo but just a bit worried I don't have the right environment to dry them out.

If i were to make a bresaola from this joint would I need to add anything? Starter culture? And guess i need some ox bung casing?

If thats the case might make a larger order as wouldnt mind some suasage casing also.
--------

Dave
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:47 pm

You don't need to put the bresaola in anything, although a lot of people do, and an ox bung would do the job perfectly. :D You don't really need to do anything further with it other than find somewhere cool to hang it. I'd rub in some fresh rosemary and thyme and leave it in the fridge until Christmas Eve, turning regularly, then (quoted from Paul Kribs):
rinse the beef thoroughly under cold water to remove any remaining spices and pat dry with paper towels. Set on a rack on a baking sheet uncovered at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
Tie the beef with butchers twine[or in your case place in a bung if you so desire]. Hang the meat (ideally 60degF / 15degC with 60%-70% RH) for about 3 weeks. The meat should feel firm on the outside and silky smooth when sliced.

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby dbairduk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:53 pm

ok, I might give this a go... it could go in the laundry room which is always cool.
Might leave the ox bung as its quite pricey.

I might make an order from franco now...

how does
200g of cure#1(salt beef)
200g of cure#2(future beresola)
LS25 starter culture
Best casing for chorizo/salami?

Is there anything else i should consider?
--------

Dave
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:56 pm

I just ordered some ox runners for salami :) You can never have too many hogs as you can make sausages and thinner chorizos so I'd get some of those if you haven't already got some.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby dbairduk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm

hog casings it is then, just made the order.

So should have some cure#1 very soon Dave. But thanks for the offer of sending me a bit. Very much apreciate it.

I off to look up hanging bresaola without casing

Cheers

Dave
--------

Dave
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:43 pm

great stuff, my order arrived at lunchtime today so I can't fault that :)

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby dbairduk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:53 pm

While I am here, I have been given a load of pork... but its from an older animal and quite tough.

Is there anything you would recomend using this in? I was going to try some salami as it uses mined pork. But wonderd if there is anything else it might lend its hand to?
--------

Dave
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:58 pm

That's a tricky one, if the meat is already tough it could give your teeth a real work out in a dried sausage. You may be better of using it in something you can cook long and slow, like faggots.

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:02 pm

I'd make sausage - the traditional British Banger!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Im with Phil,sausages for shure If youve got loads you could pot roast some as well

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats