Polony

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby Jonty » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:25 pm

When I say lbs & oz I'm speaking literally, be it metric or imperial, the majority of recipes use weights and measures rather than ratios. Please don't think that I'm being critical of either your opinion, or the use of ratios, I can see that they are an incredibly practical method of producing a recipe which can be scaled up or down accordingly. What I was trying to put across was that every recipe book I have looked at used weights etc and, for the ease of passing this information on, I tend to relay it on to others in the same format.

As for the format in which other people present theirs recipes, I personally dont mind how they do it, I'm just grateful for any help or advice possible (believe me, I need it :D ).
Jonty
Registered Member

ozs, lbs, grams, pcts, etc?

Postby Robert May » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:46 pm

ozs, lbs, grams, pcts, etc?

This is a very simple example of how it could be done

The information/figures in blue were input EVERYTHING ELSE calculated
Note: UK units based on information kindly provided by sausagemaker

best wishes
RM

Happy Easter everyone

ROBERT MAY HAS LEFT THE BUILDING
It's not what on the table that counts
It's who's on the chairs
Robert May
Registered Member

Postby coastie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Silly Question when it says cook do they mean boil? and would this recipe be idea for making smoked Polony oh how I miss my smoked polony since the only guy in town who made it shut down.
Finally bowl cutter would a food processor do the same job if so I know what the wife will be getting for crimbo a heavy duty one :roll: :roll: :lol:
coastie
coastie
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:57 pm

I tend to use Gram measures when making my sausage. I do small 5-10 batches and the finite measure of the metric scale is easier to replicate then a spoonful of this or that.
Thanks for reviving this thread, it's interesting and the first I've seen of it.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:03 am

I made the the Yorkshire Polony recipe but adapted it and added nitrite and ascorbate to get that supermarket pink we all love!

It's more poach than boil, I'd kept the water at just below 80°C. I find it easier to steam these sausages. My simple 'pan-top' steamer keeps a nice temp of 80° when the water in the pan is just 'ticking over' at boiling point.

I have only made it once, so it's a work in progress; I've not had the time to get back to it. Hence, I've not posted it.

My Mum and Dad liked it though and it would probably suit your purpose as nitrite, in my view, is essential when smoking sausage.

I'd rather send it to you than post it online as it's not fully developed. PM me if you want me to.

As to the other question? Yes, a food processor's fine. Add any water as crushed ice and keep the temp below 15 °C though, otherwise the emulsion will split.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats