Basque Style hams

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Just an update.

Four Hams set for the Basque treatment weighed in fresh at between 8 1/2 and 9 Kgs each.

The hams went in to hang on 6th October at a steady 7 degrees with the vents open to give a relatively dry 55-60% RH. Overall the weather has been an ideal 'Autumn' and so I am hopeful that this will give them a reasonable start to their journey.

Rubbed curing mix was a fairly straight medium coarse Cornish sea salt, cure #2 and some fresh ground pepper.

Will leave until about 20th January, but will check weight loss at teh half way point to get some baseline data.

I will also take some photos at that point and post if anyones interested.

Keep you posted if anything else happens!
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:41 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:Just an update.

Four Hams set for the Basque treatment weighed in fresh at between 8 1/2 and 9 Kgs each.

The hams went in to hang on 6th October at a steady 7 degrees with the vents open to give a relatively dry 55-60% RH. Overall the weather has been an ideal 'Autumn' and so I am hopeful that this will give them a reasonable start to their journey.

Rubbed curing mix was a fairly straight medium coarse Cornish sea salt, cure #2 and some fresh ground pepper.

Will leave until about 20th January, but will check weight loss at teh half way point to get some baseline data.

I will also take some photos at that point and post if anyones interested.

Keep you posted if anything else happens!

Thanks. Keep us updated. I'm very interested in your results since I'm sort of "in the same business".
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Close to a year on and anxiously awaiting the out come, seemed to have missed the photos :cry:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats