Home made dry rub for Bacon

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby wheels » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm pleased that it worked out OK Ian. You're right - the CSG is great!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ianinfrance » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Right.....

Last update. After leaving the 20 hour smoked streaky bacon to settle down for 4 days or so, it was time to taste it.

So we made scrambled eggs for lunch yesterday, so that we could really taste the bacon that we cooked with it. I had three rashers each of the 10 hoursmoking and the 20 hour smoking to see which I preferred, SWMBO had a bit less.

Firstly, we were really hard put to it to tell the difference between them. I think that far more difference came from using 1.25% of sugar as opposed to 2%. So in future, I'll restrict my bacon smoking to 10 hours and thereby cut my smoking costs in half!! 8)

So, when the guys finish work in front of the house, I can bring back the smoker and think about the next batches. We've got some gammon joints still to smoke and of course, the fish to have another go at.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:50 pm

That's handy to know Ian.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats