Charcuterie - Ruhlman & Polcyn

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Charcuterie - Ruhlman & Polcyn

Postby Richierich » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:07 am

I received the afore mentioned book at the end of January and with the weather now warming a little am in a position to utilise the drying chamber (fridge) I have suffered over the last few years in perfecting - not quite there I don't think, but time to try again. It's in my garage, so I can't use it when the weather is below the ideal temperature, I can't control the temperature, unless I look at heating I guess as well as cooling for next year.......

Are there any must try recipes in the book that will blow me away, was thinking of starting off with Spanish Chorizo, I love the Finest stuff from Tesco, so would like to make my own. Has anyone used R & P's recipe for this? Any ptifalls to avoid.

Finally - are there any aspects of the techniques recipes that you feel are a little over the top, does anyone mince into a bowl in a bowl of ice water for example, Ii understand the importance of cold, but this seems a bit OTT.

I will of course keep you posted on any developments!

Tks in advance.

Richard
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:59 pm

I use the Pork Liver Pate on page 215 often. I've not made any of his sausage recipes though.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:44 pm

I've made a few from this book - I loved the weisswurst and bratwurst but was so-so on the hot dogs, sweet Italian, keilbasa and Hungarian. Maybe they just weren't to my taste or due to operator error. I would get some imput from this forum before trying any of the brine curing recipes. I haven't tried any of the dry cured sausage recipes. I also mince into a bowl set in ice water, but I am OTT. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DirkDiggler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:35 pm

NCPaul wrote:...I've made a few from this book - I loved the weisswurst and bratwurst

I made the bratwurst from this book last night! Very good, rich and perfumed with nutmeg. I gently sauteed them. I think I like this recipe better than the Sheboygan brats in the Bruce Aidells' complete sausage book. I do have to say that this bratwurst reminds me of Bruce's Bockwurst recipe. That was really tasty and rich too. :D

I also did the grinding in a bowl set in ice water. However, if you look at what they use in the book, a kitchen aid grinder is very very slow and hard work. I upgraded to something much quicker after struggling with the kitchen aid. So perhaps that is why they use a bowl in ice water? Because of the kitchen aid.
DirkDiggler
Registered Member

Postby ScoobySnax » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:44 am

I've found that grinding via the kitchen aid, specific to their amounts (usually 5lbs of meat for most sausages) to be fine, provided you work quickly and with partially frozen meat- I've made the country/grandmere pate, andouille, mexican chorizo, bfast sausages, all with the kitchen aid, and figure it works more than well enough for the occasional hobbyist. I am working on my first spanish chorizo as well, which I'm sorta chronicling in the beginner's forum. I've yet to know if it's "blow your mind", but I will say the smell of the pimenton is amazing after stuffing. hopefully it turns out great in another couple weeks or so.
Schnausages, scooby snax, got to have!
ScoobySnax
Registered Member

Postby DirkDiggler » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:12 pm

ScoobySnax wrote:I've found that grinding via the kitchen aid, specific to their amounts (usually 5lbs of meat for most sausages) to be fine, provided you work quickly and with partially frozen meat

However, did your kitchen aid grinder come with the plastic push rod or the wooden one? Mine is plastic and creates a suction and pulls the meat back out or the meat squishes around the sides of the pusher. I even tried long strips of meat and par frozen for 30minutes and the performance is much better for sure. However, I get this black goo that forms on the die in the center where the worm inserts. This is documented on Amazon.com with some people. This is the metal to metal contact. I rather not have metal in my meat. I used to have my wife on the look out when the goo gets ready to drop in so she could fish it out. I tried freezing the grinder parts, and lubing the worm-die interface and it didn't improve. Simply too much trouble and not a very good product from Kitchen Aid. IMO (Sorry for getting off topic)

I just found this on Amazon that may shed some light on why some people have very different experiences with the Kitchen Aid Grinder:
An update:

I was shopping at a store that carries KA accessories and saw an older model FGA on the shelf along with some of the newer ones. It had a coarser coarse plate and the wooden food pusher, instead of the plastic pusher/wrench combo. I bought it and took it home to compare.

The knife is made from a different kind of metal. It is a slightly different shape, a dull-finish metal, and heavier. It doesn't scrape metal dust off the grind plates. The solid wooden pusher is nicer than the plastic X-shaped pusher as well.

I'm happy with my new-old FGA, but clearly KitchenAid needs to dump this latest "revision" and go back to the last one for the sake of everybody that can't find an older model that's been sitting around.
Your reply to Ryuichi Takahashi's post:
Insert a product link To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
You are already tracking this discussion.
DirkDiggler
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats