What do you think of this BBC Chorizo recipe?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

What do you think of this BBC Chorizo recipe?

Postby Bobbo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:40 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homem ... rizo_98579

This recipe was presented on Saturday Kitchen on the BBC last Saturday.

It doesn't use cure #2 or any starter culture (both of which I have). I was thinking of giving it a try but was a bit concerned about safety.

I'm also wondering where and when to make the chorizo? I gather it needs to cure in a cool place with good air flow which is tricky this time of year in the heat. Any tips would be welcome.

Cheers
Bobbo
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:12 pm

I can see nothing intrinsically wrong with the actual recipe if you are of the 'no cure' brigade and wanted to play a sausage version of 'Russian Roulette'!

There's some wonderful advice about 2.5% salt 'cooking' the meat, sausage stuffers having to be bought from America, and to hang it in a garden shed - great advice during the hottest time of the year!

That this guy is allowed to sell this in his restaurant and Environment Health and Trading Standards allow him to, highlights the level of protection provided to the public in this country. I cringed as he added fresh garlic given no cure to protect from botulism. The only saving grace would be that his stuffing technique means that it's unlikely it would be in anaerobic circumstances! :wink: :wink:

Given that this should air-dry in a 'proper' environment in under a month, I'd add cure #1 at 150PPM and probably starter culture (more for flavour - but it gives additional protection).

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Bobbo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks Phil.

I must admit I did laugh when he mentioned having to buy the stuffer from the US and get it shipped over. I almost wrote to the BBC to send them the link to Weshchenfelders.

The shed bit also raised an eyebrow, although I really would be interested to know how you are supposed to store a sausage during its cure time. How do most people do it who don't have a cellar? Can I simply hang them at the back of the fridge?

That being said, I have an Italian mate at work who makes his own salami each year with no nitrite/nitrate and the recipe did look pretty good.

I had a go at Chorizo (Spuddies recipe if I remember correctly) and got poor results due to case hardening. It dried out too fast hanging in the kitchen. I fancy another crack at chorizo so this simple approach appealed.
Bobbo
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:04 pm

this whole "cure" thing is getting too much play. cure does more than prevent botulism etc. it also affects meat texture and color and flavor. i think this is well described in both marianski and kulas, among others. i think there is merit to the point that some traditional sausages are made without added cure, but that may be because their salt already had nitrite in it. why would anyone take a chance? i don't have the climate of rural italy or spain, or the salts that the old people used. cure is a no lose cheap health insurance and flavor/texture enhancer. in my humble opionion.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:22 pm

I agree and hope that, at least on this forum, we strike a balance between the 'I'll use loads, my grandad did' brigade and the 'I won't use cure at any cost' brigade.

As to where to dry sausage in the summer? Well, if you've not got somewhere that has a temperature that can be held below 15°C (but above 10°C ish) then I'd wait until the autumn to make air dried stuff. Many members have adapted fridges/freezers to use as curing chambers. There are a number of threads on here detailing how they've done so.

Personally, the only air dried meat I'd risk in a 'normal' fridge would be pancetta.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Richierich » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:56 am

I am sure the first Chorizo I made had no #2 in it, and certainly no starter culture. Dreid mine in a cool place in the house over summer, used collagen casings, was done in a couple of weeks, I think too quickly. Flavour was okay, but I can't recall eating it uncooked.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:05 pm

I do wonder whether they deliberately don't mention the cure to keep it simple, don't add any or are using a curing mix someone gave them without knowing there is cure in there. I've seen a number of TV shows where they add "salt" to keep the meat a nice pink colour . :roll:
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Recipes for cured meats