My first go at bacon (and smoking)

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby Big_Al » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:24 pm

Hey guys. Just trying my first ever batch of bacon now. Used the mix suggested above as it got some good feedback but added a little black pepper to it as well. My piece of pork is quite thick though so will take some time for it to cure through. I'll keep you posted as to my progress. I think I may leave it an extra day to cure just to be sure seeing as its my maiden voyage into curing. Hopefully in a little while I shall be chowing down on some rather delicious bacon butties!
Big_Al
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:47 pm

I have left mine by accident for 2-3 days over sometimes, never seem to go wrong.

Once you have cured it it is definately worth leaving it uncovered for a day or so, or wrapped in greaseproof at the back of the fridge to dry a little before you go for the proper tasting, clearly you will need to carry out a quick QC check prior to leaving it to dry. :wink:

Look forward to hearing about the results.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Within reason you can leave it just rince and leave for a couple of days.
Bacon is very forgiving if you use the correct cure and at least the minimum time.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Big_Al » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:20 am

Hey guys just a quick question here.
I finished my first batch of bacon last week and it came out pretty darn good.
Rather pleased with it apart from one thing. It was far too salty. I used the calculator thats on the website etc and everything went fine apart from that. I'm just wondering if it's my personal taste?
I was just wondering what you'd recommend to balance this? Less salt? Or maybe more sugar?

Just on a side note I also just made some beef jerky.
2 batches a traditional normal jerky and a chinese hot sauce jerky and I have to say the Chinese hot sauce jerky is by far the best jerky I have tasted in my life. Justifying exactly why I am starting to get into curing etc!
Big_Al
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Big_Al wrote: I'm just wondering if it's my personal taste?
I was just wondering what you'd recommend to balance this? Less salt? Or maybe more sugar?

Darn good question, I too am sensitive to salt and cut back a little on the salt in the recipes, but adding some sugar does hide the salt nicely. So my recommendation is do both! Or wait till the pro's chime in :wink:
Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Big Al

I'm sorry that you found the bacon a little salty. Usually with this recipe it's the other way around - I've done a calculator for that!

I too would probably increase the sugar and decrease the salt like Dan suggests. My only concern being a tendency for the sugar to 'burn' as the bacon cooks. Gentle cooking should prevent this though.

I've done a calculator for you that reduces the salt from 18.5g to 15g per kg and increases the sugar from 10g to 12g.

Big Al's Cure Calculator

If you settle on a different ration of salt/sugar, just let me know and if it will assist, I will adjust the calculator accordingly.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Big_Al » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Hey Phil,

Thanks a lot for the reply and the revised calculator for me! Much appreciated to have such great help whilst I'm embarking on this. I'll grab another joint soon and have another crack at it.
I first have to organise a £500 fireworks display which should be nothing short of amazing fun.
Bonfire night gives easy access to fire and explosives which brings out the big kid in every man!
Big_Al
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 pm

All

Sounds great. I spent a Nov 5th in a ward high up in The Hallamshire - the view over Sheffield with the fireworks going off was amazing.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Big_Al » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:11 am

Yeah its one of the good thing about living in such a blooming hilly city! Great views from so many places, especially for events such as bonfire night or New Years!
The downside of course is that cycling is immense fun one way, and a huge bugger the other!
Big_Al
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Yes, it makes you wonder why they chose it for the regional spinal unit? The access road at the Northern General is the equivalent of climbing a mountain in a wheelchair!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tinca » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:49 am

Bobbo wrote:I work in Cowley but live south of Oxford in Didcot

I probably will freeze it in batches. It shouldn't be a problem.

You work just down the road from me , westdrayton :lol: Small world, i will lookfor the smoke :wink:
tinca
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Kennington 8)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats