Chinese Bacon?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Chinese Bacon?

Postby Ryan C » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:28 pm

While making some bacon recently, it occurred to me that a while back I bought some chinese bacon from the Chinese supermarket in Edinburgh. Unfortunately it must have been on a weekend as I recall returning from the pub with some friends and devouring the whole packet raw :oops:
I've never been able to find it again and I wondered if anyone knows of this product or (even better) if anyone has a recipe. Strangely, my memories of the bacon eating evening are somewhat hazy. However, I do recall that as well as being delicious it was heavily spiced and very, very sweet. Also it was a long, thin piece of solid muscle similar in diameter to an air-dried sausage in sheep casing and the packaging said to cook before eating. I presume it was pork but could easily have been cat, dog or other delicious creature.

any help would be greatly appreciated
:D

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Ryan

Firstly, let's try and establish what it was!

Was it something like in this picture?

http://baconpress.blogspot.com/2006/06/ ... usage.html

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:07 am

This forum has been on my read list while working (37 hour days you need a break somewhere .. :? :oops: ) I have posted the link not too long ago and have tagged a few to read list.

Funnily enough this is on of the to do list, av a butchers as it just might be what you are looking for.

check out #100

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/to ... ge__st__90

#168 recipe

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/to ... e__st__150
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm sorry, I should really have a good a search before wasting your time with silly questions :oops:
It looks like the stuff I had was Lop Yuk (Lup Yaak). There are a few interesting recipes online including the link above from BriCan as well as the great Len Poli's site. It's basically dried, sweet spiced strips of belly pork which are supposed to be chopped up and added to soups, noodles etc. It's remarkably quick and easy to make so I'm going to try Len Poli's recipe as well as one that includes Hoisin sauce and dark soy to see how they turn out.

I'll post my results here in a couple of days

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:48 pm

Ryan,

Did you end up making the bacon and if so how did it compare to the commercial stuff you'd purchased before?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:43 pm

JerBear,
First of all, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, just started a new job and it's busy, busy, busy :( .

Did you end up making the bacon and if so how did it compare to the commercial stuff you'd purchased before?

I made a few versions before I came up with one I was really happy with. I posted the recipe in a thread titled "chinese sausage" (sorry but I'm not sure how to post a link). I was a bit unsure as to how it would compare with the stuff I bought since I didn't have the ingredients and I was blazing drunk when I raided the fridge to eat it :roll: .
However, whilst in Edinburgh yesterday I popped into the chinese supermarket and lo and behold there it was! Naturally I bought a few packets expecting it to taste nothing like the version I had made but amazingly, it's almost identical :D (I'm quite proud of myself you know!). So, here is the ingredients list from the packet:
Belly pork, Sugar, Salt, Soya sauce, Chinese Rose Wine, MSG, Potassium Nitrate
The packet also says it is made with 133g of pork for every 100g of finished product which I calculate to a weight loss of about 25%. It also says that the product should be steamed for twenty minutes before eating. I've been keeping strips of it in the freezer and using a strip or two whenever I'm making noodles, rice or a chinese style soup.
If I get time I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow so you can see the dimensions. I would definitely recommend this if you like chinese food and it is very quick, simple and inexpensive to make.

Go on, give it a go!

Ryan
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:04 am

I found the other thread, it does look nice and it'll be on my short list of recipes I'm getting ready to make. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

Chinese Sausage - Lop Yuk
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:26 pm

And here's a couple of photos of the culprit that started all this off.
[img]http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2442/dscf0050t.jpg
http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/9852/dscf0052p.jpg[/img]
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks Ryan C. If I can find in my freezer some belly pork, I'm going to give your recipe a go, as I love Chinese food.

Here is a link to your original recipe.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:28 pm

Looking at the price, it seems there is a remarkable upcharge for knowing how to make bacon. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Recipes for cured meats