Irish Boiling Bacon.

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Irish Boiling Bacon.

Postby Nhannath » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi.,

Does anybody have a recipe / method for Irish boiling bacon., I have a peice of butt / collar? and wondered if I employed the same curing methid as everyday ham.

Kind Regards

Neal Hannath
Nhannath
Registered Member

Re: Irish Boiling Bacon.

Postby BriCan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Nhannath wrote:Hi.,

Does anybody have a recipe / method for Irish boiling bacon., I have a peice of butt / collar? and wondered if I employed the same curing methid as everyday ham.

Kind Regards

Neal Hannath

PM me and I will send you some gammon cure if you like, it's what I use all the time

Robert
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Look here first

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... 79c465242f

I dont mind starting an argument(sp)

Bacon/ham are one and the same
Flavours and or style are influenced by what goes into the cure and how the meat is cooked.
For instance flavours can be introduced by rubbing in spices etc when dry curing or by incorperating into a brine when wet curing (either by immersion or injection)
It is also possible to to influence the flavour of boiling bacon or ham by adding herbs and spices during the boiling (or preferably simmering or steaming stage).
There will almost certainly be more from others so hopefully we will both emerge a little more well informed
I cant help with the style i.e Irish boiling but I would imagine a fairly traditional cure to incorperate juniper and clover may fit the bill.
If you dcide upon the style and post back Im sure someone will help

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:02 am

captain wassname wrote:I dont mind starting an argument(sp)

Jim

Sits on hands ..... don't wana loose another finger. :cry:
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:20 am

Ah, but would that be the old Irish boiling bacon sir? Or the American Irish boiling bacon?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:40 am

No the usual argument seems to be is this ham or bacon and to my way of thinking they are cured meat.Its what comes next that makes it bacon or ham.
I dont mind those who say if it aint smoked it aint whatever
Forgive them for they know not.
So I sit by the hole waiting for a rise.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:13 am

For whatever it's worth. I think that the meat for boiling bacon is predominantly shoulder, that is not to say that leg can't be used.

I posed the question to myself what constitutes boiling bacon, differentiating it from ham. My answer to myself was texture. As the name suggests boiling bacon was cooked just so, whereas ham IMO has to be cooked at or below 80°C.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Ryan C » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:50 am

[quote="captain wassname"]

I dont mind starting an argument(sp)

Don't you mean gammon and bacon are the same thing?

I may be wrong but I always thought that only meat from the hind legs of a pig could be called ham, whether it is cured, cooked or neither.
Ryan C
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Neal, I wasn't sure whether the US Irish use the same cut or method for their boiling bacon as the guys in Eire, or for that matter whether either are what we know as boiling bacon in England.

However, a quick 'Google' suggests that your butt/collar is the correct cut and that the product is, if not the same, very similar.

In which case you need to brine it in a bacon cure. I recall having it as a youth. If my memory serves me correctly, it seemed saltier than ham, even after soaking.

Does the cure mix you are using have a recipe for a brine cure with it? If so, I'd use that. As for flavourings, you're on your own to a degree, it depends what you like but I'd think about using black peppercorns and juniper as part of the mix.

If you need a cure constructing, please let us know what curing salt you are using and I'm sure someone will help.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 pm

wheels wrote:Ah, but would that be the old Irish boiling bacon sir? Or the American Irish boiling bacon?

I have never heard of Irish Boiling Bacon here in the States Phil at least not the State of NY. Looks like another thing to research.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 pm

I just assumed that boiling bacon would, like salt beef, be another food that was still eaten by the US Irish community. :oops: :oops:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Ryan I will admiit that gammon can be ham or bacon depending on the treatment after curing
There are plenty of people out there making shoulder ham and I aint going to argue with them.
I would agree with Odley and Wheels that shoulder probably makes the best boiling bacon.
The difference between ham and bacon is as Oddley says is the cooking.
Incidentaly I have cured a piece of loin,simmered it then glazed it and roasted I call it roast ham but Im not fussed what name we put to things as long as we cure in a proper way

Phil why a brine,by which I assume, an immersion cure?
I can see that for boiling you might concude that a dry cure may be counterproductive but personally I have found immersion cures to salty and would use a combination cure.
I think that boiled bacon should be just plain cooked then boiled with carrots and onion and served with peas pudding

I seem to recall the stuff you see in the supermarkets called gammon joints were at some point in the past(seems like yesterday, do you remember Guy Mitchell) were called bacon joints.
Finally to Neal apologies for being to far up my own arse to give you a proper answer to your post.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:34 am

Jim

For no other reason that, having got the idea that Irish boiling bacon is no different to what I had as a kid. I reverted to the way it would have been done then.

Harry Holland, our butcher from Littlethorpe - where he had land and a slaughter house - would no more have injected meat than drink 'fizzy keg beer'!

He would have done it in his 'brine tub', just like most of the other things he sold.

I guess that's why I suggested it.

I'm sure that it could be also done by other methods.

Jim, please don't read this as a cynical or blasé reply; that's honestly the way I was thinking at the time.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:05 am

Phil I think for most of us in the UK,(cant speak for the Irish) Remember boiling bacon as something that was well salty and as you reconstructed it almost certainly brined.As I said ours was almost inevitably accompanied by peas pudding.
Ive little doubt that one may find bacon joints in a local butchers but sadly such delicacies are unavailable in supermarkets.So it is left to us to suggest which joints to choose and methods of curing and it is only natural that our past reflect our advice.
Im certainly not going to be offended by what another member suggests by way of opinion after all you have been known to be right.on occasions.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence - I think! :wink:

I guess the best thing to do is wait until Neal posts again. I'm sure that we can come up with a cure between us - whatever the method.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats