Goat salami

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Goat salami

Postby DanteBrian » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:54 pm

I put up a couple goat salamis a few weeks back at the same time as a few other different types.
While the others seem to be progressing pretty well, the goat doesn't seem to be doing anything. First off it seems like there is excessive fat that is leaking from the casing and coating it as well as dripping from the bottom. Also there hasn't been any obvious weight loss or hardening. I think I might have added an insufficient amount of starter. But I thought I read somewhere that that may not have much to do with it as long as there is a good amount of sugar for it to feed on. Anyone know what might be going on here?
I can turn diamonds into jellybeans
DanteBrian
Registered Member

Postby jasonmolinari » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 am

details? recipe? fermentation temp?
jasonmolinari
Registered Member

Postby DanteBrian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:06 pm

I used some internet guy name of Jason Molinari's recipe. Ever heard of the dude?
Some exceptions are that I used straight fat back instead of belly and no spray mold. Like I said also I'm pretty sure I messed up and only put about .1g of starter in my meat mix.
Fermented at room temp for 2 days. Roughly 70f with an unmanipulated humidity of about 65. They had a good bit of grease dripping off them right from the get go.
In the curing chamber the fat congealed slightly and the sausages have remained in pretty much the same condition since then. White mold started growing, then progressed to some nappier colors which I just recently wiped off. The fat began to release again. But the sausages are about the same consistency as the day I stuffed them a little under a month ago. No obvious weight loss.
As I've said in another post I've recently been having problems with humidity control. But these weren't doing so hot even before that came up.
DanteBrian
Registered Member

Postby jasonmolinari » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:55 pm

You trust stuff people put on the internet? Crazy.

Hrm...it sounds ilke something went wrong in the grinding...like the fat completely smeared instead of grinding into nice chunks. Did you freeze the fat first? Overmix the paste? Never had that happen, but it wouldn't be related to the starter.
jasonmolinari
Registered Member

Postby DanteBrian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I guess it's a bonified mystery then. I always keep my fat in the freezer and par freeze the meat. so no smearing and just a quick mix in the mixer to distribute everything.
The goat is fresh as can be but it was frozen when I bought it. Could the water content have been too high? Having got it frozen and then par freezing.

Crazy? It's been suggested but no papers have ever been filed.
DanteBrian
Registered Member

Postby jasonmolinari » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:09 pm

I don't think so. If anything, it would be drier if it's been frozen once before....have you use this backfat before? I know some breeds and feed changes for the animals can make fat melting temperature variable...
jasonmolinari
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats