types of brats

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

types of brats

Postby moe » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:51 pm

I seen a seasoning pkg labled garden brats, like the one you see at the county fair... Anyone know what the flavor profile is?

I reading about sheboygan and wisconsin brats. Then read where sheboygan/wisconsin are suppose to be the same, but then read where johnsonville brats are wisconsin brat. I believe the johnsonville is a sweet brat. I tasted a sheboygan seasoning brats from one mfg and it is not sweet.

Anyone know of flavor profiles on both american and euro style bratwurts.. or any more info..
moe
Newly Registered

Postby the chorizo kid » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 pm

personally, i think the question is unanswerable. "american" and "european" are terms that cover many diffrerent kinds of brats. hard to give specific advice. however, as a gneral rule, i would imagine that a german brat would be a good starting point. as such, consider, pork, salt, pepper, perhaps garlic, perhaps veal, perhaps beef, perhaps milk solids, no cure, definite caraway seed, no smoking. that is however only a starting point. many many recipes for german brats out there. everyone here in wisconsin boils their brats in beer/onions/mustard before grilling, and soaks them in the same after grilling. perhaps that adds to sweetness, although someone who ought to know says the beer makes them bitter. i have not found that to be the case. if your brat is not sweet enough, you might add some source of sweetness. since they are not fermented, the sugar ought to contribute to the final flavor. just my guess, though, since i have not tried it.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats