Basterma - is this right?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Basterma - is this right?

Postby big_onion » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:29 pm

I saw this recipe on Len Poli's site and was curious about the length of time on here. It has 6 days curing, then only 3-4 days drying.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/basterma.pdf

Does this sound right? Has anyone done this before? What's the final product like? I would presume it's not too hard, but is it a safe one to eat uncooked?

Also, would a temp closer to 68 F or so be okay? With a fan on and our A/C vents open our guest room we can sometimes keep a cooler temperature than the rest of the house (which sounds weird, but we can definitely feel it). My hope is to have a proper drying chamber, even if it's small and temporary, set up within the time this would cure, but on the off chance that I don't have anything knowing I can do it at a cool ambient/room temp would be nice. Just the drying time kind of caught me off guard, since most things are for much longer periods of time.

Thanks!
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:57 pm

I would have my doubts. I'll say no more, as I've never done this recipe. But after such a short curing period I would expect quite a long maturing time to allow the cure to equalise throughout the meat. That is, to move from the outside to the centre.

Just my thoughts - maybe someone who has used this cure will advise.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:10 am

Hi Big Onion and Wheels,
The picture alone of Basterma makes me hungry. It reminds me very much of the Dutch "rookvlees" On Len Poli's site it listed 4 Tbs Tender Quick Cure. This being not available in Australia, I Googled it and found a substitute for it.
1 pound of pickling salt,
8 ounces granulated sugar
2 ounces pink salt. Which I have on hand as either Cure #1 or #2
Which one do I use to be on the safe side. Winter will be here shortly and I have a big curing, smoking and sausage making program on the books. I just haven't told my dear wife yet.
Thank you.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
PS. Len's site also has an OZ recipe from a gentleman in Jimboomba. Not far from me. He is no longer there. I just hope it is not as a result from not using proper curing salt as per his recipe.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:05 pm

I would use cure #1 and assume that the recipe you have is for a 50lb+ batch of meat.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks Phil. I can't wait till MAY and the cold weather.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Oh ja Jan,

I can't wait till MAY and the cold weather.

I forgot we are are in same boat. :lol: :lol:
The way from where I live to your west coast is sraight out the harbour and you just keep going.
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby big_onion » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:46 pm

wheels wrote:I would have my doubts. I'll say no more, as I've never done this recipe. But after such a short curing period I would expect quite a long maturing time to allow the cure to equalise throughout the meat. That is, to move from the outside to the centre.

Just my thoughts - maybe someone who has used this cure will advise.

Phil

If I were to give this a try, maybe with a smaller piece of meat, what ways can I "test" to make sure that it's safe? Or would a smaller piece probably safer since it won't take as long for the cute to equalize?

I may just give it a go with small piece and see how it comes out. I guess if it smells funky it goes in the garbage! :)
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:01 pm

If you've decided to do it, I'd go with Len's recipe. A kilo of meat is "a smaller piece".

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 pm

I don't use TQ but one thing I noticed is it uses twice the amount of cure that morton's recommends, and at 25 grams of salt per pound I couldn't eat it.
Last edited by DanMcG on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 am

Yes, I noticed that as well.

It raises a question of, when you have given your opinion, and someone decides that they are going to do it anyway, do you create a conflict situation by advising them otherwise?

It's even more of a problem if you are contradicting someone like Len Poli!

Phil

Added: ...and No, I wouldn't risk wasting 1 kilo of good sirloin this way.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby big_onion » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:20 pm

wheels wrote:Yes, I noticed that as well.

It raises a question of, when you have given your opinion, and someone decides that they are going to do it anyway, do you create a conflict situation by advising them otherwise?

It's even more of a problem if you are contradicting someone like Len Poli!

Phil

Added: ...and No, I wouldn't risk wasting 1 kilo of good sirloin this way.

Haha, no conflict situation needed, if you were referring to me. I was willing to try it because it seemed no one else had, so I was willing to test it. The more I think about it, though, the more hesitant I am to waste a good piece of meat.

Is Len Poli good with responding to e-mails? I suppose I can just ask him directly for his opinion so we can maybe get some insight from not only someone who may have made it but also the man who posted the recipe. :)

I may save my money for projects I feel more comfortable with. I was just looking for something with a short cure/dry time, but it's probably best to not rush something like this!
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Sorry Big Onion, I wasn't having a dig at you. It's just that most people on here know that i would normally have commented/critisised the level of cure in this.

I contacted Len Poli once; he was most helpful.

I'm wondering whether it is meant to be like Carpaccio of beef, rather than like a bresaola? In that case, I can see the logic of the short drying period.

Please let us know how you get on if you make it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 am

big_onion wrote:Is Len Poli good with responding to e-mails? I suppose I can just ask him directly for his opinion so we can maybe get some insight from not only someone who may have made it but also the man who posted the recipe. :)

I E-mailed Mr Poli twice in the past with very helpfull and instant replies back from him. I noticed the last time I wanted to ask about what I felt was a dangerously low cure amount in one of his recipes, it seems that he remove his email address. Let me know if he has it listed again if you would please.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:36 am

Could it be that some of his recipes are from other sources and he has posted them without proof-reading them first?
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:38 am

Yes André I beleive that is what happens, but don't know for sure.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats