Pancetta (rolled)

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Pancetta (rolled)

Postby dannylomb » Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 am

Hello everybody

I'm from South Africa I just found your forum while searching for pancetta curing and drying methods.

I have seen quite a few recipes on this forum and on the internet, I am looking for a recipe and explanation on how to make rolled pancetta not the flat type made in florence.

I saw that the mixture is a basic of salt pepper and sugar and then you can add the bayleaf, garlic juniper berries. I'm prepared to use a recipe like that but looking at the cure that is sold by franco and the photo on there looks like a simplified recipe (or even traditional)

Could anybody shed some light on my confusion
dannylomb
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu May 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi Dannylomb, welcome. :D

I don't quite understand what you mean by:

I saw that the mixture is a basic of salt pepper and sugar and then you can add the bayleaf, garlic juniper berries. I'm prepared to use a recipe like that but looking at the cure that is sold by franco and the photo on there looks like a simplified recipe (or even traditional)

Can you expand on what you mean please.

(I've deleted your duplicate post to keep any answers all in one place)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby dannylomb » Thu May 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi Thanks in a moment of stupidity I posted that in the wrong place.

Basically all the recipes I have seen hase a basic of the pink salt (with nitrite) , Kosher salt, black pepper and brown sugar with certainvarieties changing between nutmeg, garlic, bayleaf, juniper berries and so on.

I would like to see a recipe that has been tested to be exceptional.

With regards to the rolled or not I read a lot about the flat type having dry corners and not being oily like the rolled variety I am used to the rolled pancetta.
dannylomb
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Fri May 27, 2011 10:41 am

i just finished a few slices of raw smoked pancetta, flat type, for breakfast. i didn't notice any dried corners or whatever; just a uniform firm bacon. i also made some rolled up pancetta, same recipe, also smoked. other than looks, the rolled looking more impressive, i cannot tell a difference. can't really remember the recipe, but it was probably the standard salt/sugar/cure/bay leaf/garlic/black pepper/ juniper berry/some kind of herb, maybe thyme, but not sure.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri May 27, 2011 12:16 pm

I make a slight variation of this one:

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... f-all.html

Whether purists would approve is debatable as it contains sugar and is heavier on the herbs than the norm - but I like it!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby dannylomb » Fri May 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Okay let me try this.

I also read that mamalinga uses his recipe but adds chilli. So I will follow this and roll it and see now just to find Juniper berries.

Thanks for your help
dannylomb
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri May 27, 2011 12:46 pm

When you fancy something a bit different try this one of Larbo's:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/weblog ... php?id=483

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby big_onion » Fri May 27, 2011 6:52 pm

wheels wrote:I make a slight variation of this one:

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... f-all.html

Whether purists would approve is debatable as it contains sugar and is heavier on the herbs than the norm - but I like it!

Phil

I had almost 4kg of belly I needed to get curing and went to do it last night, only to find out I was short on a LOT of spices. (4kg requires quite a bit!)

I usually use a variation of Molinari's as well, but instead of juniper, nutmeg, thyme, and the large amount of black pepper I would've needed (about 70g), I used the 30g black pepper I had left and made up the weight of the other spices with an Herbs d'Provence blend that a coworker puts together (I think it's inappropriately named, but it's a great blend -- we made some lamb ribs with that as a rub and they came out amazing).

Hopefully they turn out well. The salt, curing salt and sugar were all the same. We'll see, I suppose! Hoping to get them skinned and rolled in about 10 days.

FYI - This isn't the mangalitsa belly. That's still in the freezer. This was another, thinner slab my girlfriend had picked up for me.
big_onion
Registered Member

Postby dannylomb » Fri May 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I actually found one that contains only salt,cure#2,sugar and white pepper i would switch the white pepper for black.

For what i use pancetta its mainly a salt and fat carrier.

After this i hope to have my hands on procuitto di parma.
dannylomb
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats