lamb Recipe I want to try but need help

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

lamb Recipe I want to try but need help

Postby dba1954 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:44 pm

I found a recipe on line that looks interesting but need recommendations. I can have Lamb ground at the butcher or do it my self but the recipe doesn't mention 2 key elements.... How fine a grind and how much fat content. Could I just do a medium grind of a whole leg of lamb untrimmed? I'm very new to this so I really welcome recommendations.

Aussie Lamb Sausage

3-lbs ground lamb
2-sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
8-oz feta cheese, crumbled
3-tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
1-tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1-tbsp minced garlic
1-tsp salt
1/2-tsp freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients, mix well & stuff into hog casing
dba1954
Registered Member

Re: lamb Recipe I want to try but need help

Postby BriCan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:29 am

dba1954 wrote:I found a recipe on line that looks interesting but need recommendations. I can have Lamb ground at the butcher or do it my self but the recipe doesn't mention 2 key elements.... How fine a grind and how much fat content. Could I just do a medium grind of a whole leg of lamb untrimmed?

I do a fair bit of lamb sausages; I only take off the heavy fat but leave on the light stuff otherwise it will be to dry, you can (if you want) add 1/3rd pork to the lamb which also will insure that sausages stay moist. As to the grind; I do a course first then mix spices in well and grind with medium plate twice (once is aright)

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:27 pm

my sister-in-law made a very similar sausage recently. lots of work. also, here in the states, the ground lamb costs an arm and a leg. unfortunately, as made, it was very dry, which hurt the flavor quite a bit. i think the fat not only gives moisture and mouth feel, but also helps bring out the flavor of the spices.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:49 am

I use boneless legs at $4.99 lb, less trim/waste
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Do you add any form of fat?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 pm

You mean me Sir? :?
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Yes sir!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Adding fat can be a touchy thing most people will use shoulder meat (for best flavour) when making sausage, I would do the same but way too much clean up in a production setting hence the use of legs the other is cost factor (time) and as legs are an easy do they win out.

For strait lamb (meat wise) I just take off the heavy fat usually around the rump area and the pelvic bone, the other is internal around the heal (shank) as this lump of fat has a lymph node that should be taken out.

If one would like to make sure that they have a moist sausage without filling it full of add on then pork is the best answer. Stay away from back fat as this is the worst thing to use, use either belly trim or jowls if I do not have any of these around I will use the fat end of the pork shoulder

As for ratio?? I use about 15% pork meat to the lamb ----- for a total of 26 lbs of meat --- 22 lbs lamb and 4 lbs pork

Now before someone jumps all over me; back fat – we use this to render down to make pure lard as you have about a 95+% reduction of the fat to produce the lard. Belly trim is usually a 50/50 mix of fat and meat – the fat is harder to render down hence the use, Jowls are along the same lines as belly trim

New at 10

Photos to follow, I have to make Armenian Lamb as well as Moroccan Lamb sausage this weekend.

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks Brican

Phil :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby dba1954 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:26 am

would you blend/grind , add spiced the day you are stuffing or a day prior to let seasoning integrate?
dba1954
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats