Pancetta using Parma ham cure

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Pancetta using Parma ham cure

Postby Franco » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:42 pm

I've just tasted some pancetta I made with the Parma ham cure, the results are pretty good :lol:

I only cured the meat for 15 days under vacuum instead of the30 required for a full leg (I'll adjust the instructions for the cure to reflect this).

When I finshed I coated the belly in black pepper and left it to mature in the garage (18 degrees C) as I don't want it to dry ouit any more I'll vac pack it and leave it in the fridge.

As you can see the meat has started to develop a mice white mould.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Platypus » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:34 am

That looks a really tasty pancetta Franco.
How long did you let it dry for? It still looks quite soft, like an english bacon.
Platypus
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:13 pm

You want to be careful of that mice mould.......... before you know it there will be baby mice everywhere :roll:

On a slightly more serious note, don't you need to smoke pancetta? I make my version of it using your excellent smoked cure. Evidently using the bacon cure means that theoretically this has the wrong cure in it but does it taste right using parma cure or are you going to/have you smoked it separately?
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby aris » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:42 pm

Franco, what were the humidity levels like in your garage?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Franco » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:44 pm

Aris,

the humidity in the garage is pretty low at the moment, around 40% that's why I've taken it out of the garage and vac packed it to stop t drying out.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:48 pm

Franco,

Did you use the full amount of cure (80g/kilo) and then refrigerate for 15 days, before seasoning and maturing in the garage?

My biltong box, without lights, is running at about 10-15�C at the moment, and I have an extractor fan on the top drawing air through the box, how long would you recommend maturing under these conditions?
Heather
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:51 am

Franco,

It's now 14 days since I started curing a piece of belly with the parma ham cure, so tomorrow it'll have had it's 15 days, and will need maturing.

Could you please advise on maturing conditions and times, as I'd like to get this right before trying a larger piece of meat.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:15 pm

Heather

I made a Lomo (loin eye of pork) using Franco's Parma style cure and it started at about 2 1/8" diameter. I cured it for 15 days and then hung it in a warm place for about 12 hours. Then it went into the fridge for a total of 13 days. It was on the cold side at approx 5-7C and RH of 65%-71% and it came out very nice indeed. I have eaten about half of it and am here to tell the tale so all must be well.
As your piece of belly is thinner, less dense, than a loin eye I would suggest that 15 days hanging would be enough, and the instructions for a whole leg tell you to cover with lard and black pepper and hang in the airing cupboard for 3 days before hanging for 30 days at 15C RH 70%.

I have a boned leg on its 3rd day in the airing cupboard and tonight it will be going in the fridge. I see the benefit of hanging in a warm place is that the skin has gone very hard. This will assist me if I choose to use my electric slicer.

regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:52 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the advice.

I'm planning on hanging in the biltong box with 2 lamps in for the "warm place" part, and then take the lamps out and just use the extractor fan which should give a temp around 10-15�C at this time of year (no idea of the humidity levels though, haven't yet got around to buying that piece of kit).
Heather
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:56 pm

Heather

I wouldn't worry unduly about the relative humidity levels, just so long as it is thereabouts. I am no expert but in your case with a belly I would probably let it hang for about 21 days. Belly's are generally quite thin, usually about an inch or so, so all the curing is already done.

If you have any doubts, Oddley is your man.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:38 am

Pancetta is NEVER smoked. If you smoke it then it's called bacon. All of the Italian recipes I've been able to dig call for salt curing pancetta only. I tried to cure with Cure#1 and it came with a very different flavor. There are some differences as to pepperocine (hot peppers), bay leaf, garlic, cloves, etc.

Sorry I don't know your cure Franco. Is this dry rubbed or brine cured?

Thnaks,

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats