Honey Cured Bacon Crusted with Chile Flakes and Black Pepper

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby JerBear » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:31 pm

I think that this is one of the things that frustrates me the most about curing... I tend towards the black and white and much of curing is grey area. So much depends on factors both outside of your control and unknown by you and all you can do is go with historical reference and cross your fingers knowing that in the end you might have some failures.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go for the time you suggested and will post an update post smoke. I'm also interested in how the phosphate is going to help with moisture retention. Previously I've been losing about 13-15% of weight... I'll weigh post-cure/pre-smoke and then again post-smoke/post-rest.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 pm

JerBear wrote:I'm also interested in how the phosphate is going to help with moisture retention. Previously I've been losing about 13-15% of weight... I'll weigh post-cure/pre-smoke and then again post-smoke/post-rest.

Go very carefully with that, was originally brought in by the trade to cut the corners and make lots of money. It will lock in the water content but 99.9% of the time once you freeze the product the cell stauncher will break down and there is a massive amount of weeping. Vacuum packed in the fridge for some time will turn the liquid to (sorry; the only descriptive word to describe it) snot – mucus. Brine solutions can and will go the same way.

I have eliminated all phosphates from all of my products that I make

Your % seems to be in line with what I do/make
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:03 am

JerBear wrote:I've been losing about 13-15% of weight.

That's a good thing since it concentrates the flavor, I strive for more.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:07 am

That was the debate Martin and BriCan. Walking a fine line between concentration of flavor from evaporation and holding some of it in. I've noticed that when I cook my homemade bacon very little fat or liquid is produced, in fact, I often have to add a little oil to keep it from scorching.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:31 am

JerBear wrote:That was the debate Martin and BriCan. Walking a fine line between concentration of flavor from evaporation and holding some of it in.

Flavour profile can be enhanced as Martin has said, I usually hang, dry and age to a point where I feel it should be and this can change week to week let alone day to day
I've noticed that when I cook my homemade bacon very little fat or liquid is produced, in fact, I often have to add a little oil to keep it from scorching.

You are producing a far superior bacon than a store bought one which has all the extenders and such in them, you now have to learn the fine art of cooking bacon again :lol: fry pan at a low to medium heat with a little oil (whatever you wish to use) place bacon in fry pan and depending on your heat it should take a minute to a minute and a half, just don’t overcook it :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:31 am

Thanks for all the support and feedback, it's been very welcome.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 am

Somewhat final tally....

Post-cure/pre-smoke weight = 3927 g or approx 9.1% weight loss

Post-smoke = 3924 g no additional loss
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 am

JerBear wrote:Previously I've been losing about 13-15% of weight... I'll weigh post-cure/pre-smoke and then again post-smoke/post-rest.

Just taking a look at this again, --- do not beat yourself up too much because of your numbers as they are good. I do between twenty five to thirty five middle backs (about 200kg) every week, my average loss is 15% on the low side and as high as 20% on the high side
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats