Wheels Rolls/ soft/ crusty.

All about bread

Wheels Rolls/ soft/ crusty.

Postby kimgary » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi All

Having made Wheels soft rolls recently and now find myself making 9, 4oz

Rolls every day to keep the family happy can I easily turn these into Crusty rolls?, Ie by upping oven temp, coating with salt water etc or do I need a completely different recipe?.

These rolls would appear to have excellent keeping qualities but at the moment they don't keep longer than 6 hours they are all eaten, may have to make batches and see how they freeze.

Thanks in advance

Regards Gazza.
PS "Thanks for posting the recipe Wheels".
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Aha...the famous Wheels rolls... I have tried the trick of putting a small pan of boiling water at the bottom of the oven, as it was suggested that the steam off this would cause the crust to go like a 'country loaf' - it was a bit more crusty, but only a little.

I, too, would be interested in finding an answer to this question.
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:45 pm

I don't think they'll ever get really crusty because of the high level of oil in them.

Doing what Mike suggests, increasing the temperature to 200ĔC and removing the tray with water after about 10 mins should all help, as will leaving the rolls in the cooling oven for 10 mins after cooking.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Mike,

I tried the spraying water in every minute for the first 3 but this was at temp 170°c, have not tried at higher temp, have studdied recipes on the internet and some suggest salt water coating, or egg white.

I am wondering if placing a upturned roasting pan over them like with the no knead bread would do the trick, I have made that and found no difference in texture or crust from placing the very wet dough into a preheated cast iron lidded pan or a cold pan?.

Whats really bugging me is that my wifes grandfather was a master baker and owned backeries in croydon we spent a lot of time together and he taught my wife to make puff pastry but I was young and a ruffy tuffy oil man then, now he is safely gathered in and I think of all that knowledge gone with him.

I am sure someone on this great forum will point us in the right direction

Kind regards

Gazza
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi Phil

Our replys must have crossed.

Leaving in the cooling oven would this be with the door ajar slightly?.

Would removing the oil and replacing with butter (higher water content) help, also is the oil there to help the keeping qualities or the general texture?,

Regards Gazza.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:17 pm

kimgary wrote:Hi Phil

Our replys must have crossed.

Leaving in the cooling oven would this be with the door ajar slightly?.

Yes

Would removing the oil and replacing with butter (higher water content) help, also is the oil there to help the keeping qualities or the general texture?,

Both the milk and the oil make the crumb of the bread soft and also improve the keeping quality.

There are many ways of getting a good crust. High temperatures are a good start. For crusty bread I use 230°C at the start of cooking. Lower or no fat (inc the liquids such as milk) will also help. The best oven technique I know is to preheat a heavy roasting tin, then throw about a cup of water into it when you put the bread into the oven. Remove the tin after ½ the cooking time, or 15 mins, which ever is shorter. I find this better than spraying/misting.

I don't see how you an have crusty rolls and good keeping qualities. I think you'll have to settle for one or the other.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Cheers Phil

If the crusty rolls are as good as the original "wheels" rolls then I do not need good keeping qualities!!!.

I have read that may be putting ice cubes into the pan on the bottom of the oven produces a constant stream of steam?. (try saying that after a few glasses of wine)!.

Failing everything else does anyone have a good recipe then for crusty rolls?.

Interestingly I used skimmed milk for wheels recipe and initailly when they come out of the oven the tops are what I would call slightly crisp, however no complaints thesew are the best rolls i have ever made.

Just for information I throw ingredients into my panasonic bread maker and choose pizza dough, I then wait until dough rises to top of container then scrape out. I knead very lightly keeping most of the original air in.

Regards Gazza.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:58 am

I can just see Homer Simpson one day going..."mmmmm, Wheels Soft bread rolls..."

Just cant get away from these bad boys phil, can ya? :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Crazy Irishman! :lol:

Shouldn't you be in the kitchen making soda bread and farls?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 pm

wheels wrote:Crazy Irishman! :lol:

Shouldn't you be in the kitchen making soda bread and farls?

:lol: :lol:

Made BLT's today with my my own lettuce and bacon (smoked) had to buy the tomatoes though as mine are still green on the vines.

Might make a batch of soft white rolls though.. :D
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Mmm... BLT

:D :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator