limp loaves

All about bread

Postby wheels » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:50 pm

jdonly1's correct but I don't think that this dough (at 60% hydration) should be spreading rather than rising even if made without improvers etc. I don't think that it needs a special flour either, at this hydration even a supermarket cheap bread flour should be fine.

I think that he's hit the nail on the head when he says, "make sure your dough is mixed enough". Knead it for 8 - 10 minutes in a Kenwood Chef (or similar) or 15 minutes by hand - and time it, 'cos 5 minutes seems like 15 when you're kneading dough by hand!

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Snags » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:44 pm

I am pretty successful most of the time but if the dough is a little sloppy I bake it in a silicone log pan to control the sideways spread or turn it into a flatter log and call it a Ciabatta or Turkish bread.
If you say it like you mean it no one ever questions it :D
It all tastes good.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby covlocks » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:21 am

Whenever I get that happen to me it is always because I have added oil or fat to the recipe.

I'm afraid I dont work it on the hydration %calcs, just by feel, as all flour is different between bags and types. As a rule of thumb I add between 275-325 ml per 500 grams, but if I add oil or fat then it is at least 25ml less than that.

In my opinion, it is about how the dough looks and feels, not about exact %'s, so get to know what the dough should look and feel like when you're kneading it and you can tweak it a little then.
Game Sausages and Home Made Bread
Just like BirdsEye - from field to freezer in less than 24 hours
covlocks
Registered Member

Postby fatchef » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:22 am

I did call the last one a ciabatta and I think the wife beleived me!! :shock: 8)
I AM A DREAMER AND AM DREAMIN OF LEAVING WORK
fatchef
Registered Member

Postby covlocks » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:26 am

but if the dough is a little sloppy I bake it in a silicone log pan

Snags, why? If it is a little sloppy you can tell that at a very early stage, so add a little flour, let it rest a while then continue kneading.
Game Sausages and Home Made Bread
Just like BirdsEye - from field to freezer in less than 24 hours
covlocks
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Just lazy
and have made rock cakes adding more flour a few times in the past (not enough kneading )
Sometimes it doesnt rise like it did last time could be the salt killing the yeast too quickly or a change in temprature or humidity.

In the end most of my mistakes taste as good as my sucesses so I take artistic licence in the naming. :lol:
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby jdonly1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:41 am

Snags wrote:Just lazy
and have made rock cakes adding more flour a few times in the past (not enough kneading )
Sometimes it doesnt rise like it did last time could be the salt killing the yeast too quickly or a change in temprature or humidity.

In the end most of my mistakes taste as good as my sucesses so I take artistic licence in the naming. :lol:

Yep putting salt straight onto the yeast will kill it or slow it right down as will to hot.If you ad to much sugar it will also slow it down.
There are so many factors with bread.

Im a qualified baker/pastry cook,had my own shop for ten years and have turned out some pretty ordinary bread at home :oops: :oops:
jdonly1
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:42 am

what happened to good old floz, i use 8floz of liquid to a 1lb of fluor even flour :lol: around a 1tbls of oil, ive gone upto 1.5 tsp salt and anything from 0.5 to 1tlbs sugar, but everytime you do have slightly different results due to the flour, so have to adjust to suit, just for a basic white loaf :D i fink leaving the mix for 20mins after bringing it all together gives you a chance of adjusting better, just gives the flour time to soak up the excess moisture and so make a better judgement :shock: gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby fatchef » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:40 am

well I have found the problem.. I beleive it to be not given enough of a kneading..b ut also found a solution!! and I had success.. Wheels standard loaf and soft rolls.. I have now found a recipie I am Pretty damn happy with and will now be making more regular for me and family to enjoy..

thanks Wheels its a cracker :D
I AM A DREAMER AND AM DREAMIN OF LEAVING WORK
fatchef
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:52 pm

My pleasure.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Bread Making