Curing chamber frost free or not - is it essential

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Curing chamber frost free or not - is it essential

Postby spudie » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:39 am

Hi experts.
Non frost free fridge for curing drying chambers....
Happy to be pointed in right direction if there are posts covering my issue.

Already have a fantastic stand alone non frost free fridge that I use for Brewing etc, looking to get products into the house without to much $$$ and not raising the Boss's eyebrows to much.
Better than useless supply chains at moment have driven the cost of even second hand frost free fridges sky high. I already have 2 other fridges and 2 freezers all are not frost free - fridge, so not really looking to put another unit in the mix.

So my question is for those that are using repurposed fridges for "Curing Chambers".
1, is it essential to only use frost free ?.
2, if not, how do you control high humidity. Have a humidifier & great temp controllers so they are taken care of.

Have had it suggested, a small heater is used to warm the air up so reduces the humidity.
Agree thats possible, but wouldn't the temp & humidifier controllers be constantly working against the heater for the correct temp and humidity.

Appreciate any assistance, if I have to go frost free I will. (last resort though)
Action now then ask for forgiveness later :lol:

Spudie - Oz
spudie
Registered Member

Re: Curing chamber frost free or not - is it essential

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:13 pm

I would use a cheap hygrometer to see what the Relative Humidity is when running one of your existing fridges at 10 - 12°C. Also, note whether the RH drops when the fridge motor is running. Assuming it does, you should be fine to use a heat source to control humidity. The heater is only there to 'trip' the fridge motor - it's the motor cooling the fridge and the subsequent water condensing out of the air that causes the RH to drop.
HTH
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Curing chamber frost free or not - is it essential

Postby spudie » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:18 pm

Thanks Wheels for your reply.
I managed with further research find an old post where you described along with another members help how to do the conversion using non frost free.
BUT, this morning I managed to squeeze "boss" to allow a fridge swap out from one of the others we use in day to day use for some trial runs.
This one is fully frost free, so up to me to get some quality products onto the plate to make the effort worthwhile.
Spudie Oz
spudie
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques