Curing Pork Loin, plz help

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Postby warston » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 am

after all so sad to find out that the sellers sold me Sodium sodium bicarbonate instead of nitrate after assuring me it is nitrate, and because i'm new for the whole operations , i took it for granted , and came yesterday back to my bill to fin out that it's not nitrate ...

i really got angry that in this stupid country you ask ppl something and they say YES and give another thing !

baking soda ... omg
warston
Registered Member

Postby warston » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:28 pm

can anyone answer my last 2 posts in page 2 ?
warston
Registered Member

Postby warston » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:42 pm

warston wrote:
captain wassname wrote:You will notice that nobody has said Im wrong

i NEVER said that you are wrong Jim and if i don't trust you guys, then i would never continue asking you ! but my whole point was WHY 5% not 10 % all what i needed to know the reason, and i was not answered til today!

STILL , i wanna ask and hope someone will give me good answer for it :

the FDA saying that 7 lb of Pure nitrate for 100 gal
that means after converting to grams and litters:

Each Litter of water Needs 8.38 grams ( if it is wrong plz prove me)

and in the same regulation about this formula they mention a pumping lvl of 10% .... can i understand why ?

and a BIG question is :

if you say that 320 ppm of nitrate causing the meat to be dumped , then

WHY the regulation mentions 700 ppm of nitrate( the nitrite is 200 ppm) ?!?!? i'm really concerned about understanding that

i hope someone will answer my questions because it's good to understand what the grams and each milligrams stand for and the reason of the amounts

anyone good to answer this questions ? experts ?
warston
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:04 pm

@ Warston:
Please don't bump the thread, if anyone chooses to respond then they will do so of their own free will and in their own free time. By repeatedly demanding a reply you will only achieve negative results.

Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules, specifically:

Bumping of posts

"Bumping" is the act of adding to a thread just to get your topic back to the top of the list in a forum and should not be done.
Users who keep bumping their topics face action that may include the locking of the topic and / or removal of forum access.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Warston
I have been out and about with my family for a couple of day and I am sorry that this may have been an inconvenience to you.
Page 7 of the book which you keep quoting tells how to see if a brine is in compliance IF you use a 10%pump.
Nowhere in the book does it say a 10% is compulsory or even preferred.
You say that you trust me but you chose to ignore my advice
the answer to the question regarding the nitrate level of your piece of meat is that with a pure nitrate cure of this type you need to contact the FDA to see if they would treat this as bacon or ham.
Had you had said when you first posted that you needed to be in compliance with US limits rather than EU limits then I would not have responded.
Phil has already explained that nitrate needs time, again you would need to contact the FDA as to why their levels are different to the EU
Im not happy with 320 ppm of nitrite in a 1 kilo piece of pork for this type of meat which is to be cooked immediately.
Where did you get the ascorbic and the sodium tripolysulphate.
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby warston » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:58 am

Spuddy wrote:@ Warston:
Please don't bump the thread, if anyone chooses to respond then they will do so of their own free will and in their own free time. By repeatedly demanding a reply you will only achieve negative results.

Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules, specifically:

Bumping of posts

"Bumping" is the act of adding to a thread just to get your topic back to the top of the list in a forum and should not be done.
Users who keep bumping their topics face action that may include the locking of the topic and / or removal of forum access.

ok sorry about that, you are right
warston
Registered Member

Postby warston » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 am

captain wassname wrote:Warston
I have been out and about with my family for a couple of day and I am sorry that this may have been an inconvenience to you.
Page 7 of the book which you keep quoting tells how to see if a brine is in compliance IF you use a 10%pump.
Nowhere in the book does it say a 10% is compulsory or even preferred.
You say that you trust me but you chose to ignore my advice
the answer to the question regarding the nitrate level of your piece of meat is that with a pure nitrate cure of this type you need to contact the FDA to see if they would treat this as bacon or ham.
Had you had said when you first posted that you needed to be in compliance with US limits rather than EU limits then I would not have responded.
Phil has already explained that nitrate needs time, again you would need to contact the FDA as to why their levels are different to the EU
Im not happy with 320 ppm of nitrite in a 1 kilo piece of pork for this type of meat which is to be cooked immediately.
Where did you get the ascorbic and the sodium tripolysulphate.

thanks for responding Jim

i didn't know that the guys here following the EU standards ! and i didn't know that your standards are different from the USA !

but it's really a big concern if you are saying that 320 ppm is something to dump, whether the FDA saying 700 ppm !!!

i agree with you that the 10% in page 10 was not standard ( means should not more or less ) but it was as an example, and i have been reading many recipes and all they pump with 10, so that's 2 issues made me confused about what u said and what a gov standards decrees say ! but i trusted and still trust you because you guys has done many hams but i didn't done even 1

as i said , i have been cheated and given baking soda ( becoz i don't know how the nitrate looks like !) so any suggestion what can be done with the meat to dry it or something ? or i still have to dump it ?

the Ascorbic i got it from a very big powder suppliers

and the Tripolyphosphat from a chimichal shops who does all kind of chimerical powders
warston
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques