is it in compliance recipe ?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

is it in compliance recipe ?

Postby warston » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 pm

i was checking around how to do the Jambon
and i found this recipe:

http://www.gourmetbritain.com/contact.php?

but i was wondering about the grams of the Nitrite of it ..

i would like to hear your opinion about it

thanks
warston
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:33 pm

That link's to their 'Contact Us' page?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 pm

The brine recipe for the Jambon de Paris contains saltpetre, not nitrite. What is your question?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby warston » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 am

sorry for the wrong link, this is the correct one:
http://www.gourmetbritain.com/recipes_e ... p?item=143
+
http://www.gourmetbritain.com/recipes_entry.php?item=58

@Vagreys: ya it is the potassium nitrite , and will appreciate to help me if it can be alternative to the sodium nitrite?

thanks a lot
warston
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:07 pm

The recipe uses saltpetre which is potassium nitrate (KNO3), not nitrite. The levels used are much higher than US and EU regulations allow. Ham can be made using saltpetre, but in my opinion, an immersion cure is not a good way to proceed. If you can find a syringe with a long needle, you will be able to do a pump and dry cure combination which would be a much better choice. Better yet would be a combination of sodium nitrite (cure #1) and saltpetre applied as a pump and dry cure.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:38 pm

boiling the cure is not a good idea.
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Maybe others will check my figures but at equilibrium I think that you would be looking at about 12 gms of nitrate per kilo of meat and about 75 gms (7.5%)of salt .
Its likely that at 10 days you would be at 50% or more of equilibrium meaning 6gms of nitrate per kilo and about 3.75% salt.
This would seem to borne out by the fact that you are supposed to boil for 10 mins and then discard the water.
The reason for this would be because its too salty .
If there is too much salt there will be too much cure.
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:18 am

Warton,

I know that you particularly want to make 'Jambon de Paris'.

Why, I don't know, but that's of no matter.

The Gourmet Britain recipe is an absolute waste of time. It's fairly obvious really: a website called "Gourmet Britain" isn't likely to have a good recipe for 'Jambon de Paris'!

In my experience, what is sold as 'Jambon de Paris' is cheap commercial cooked ham. Whether that is the case in reality? Hopefully, one of our members living in France can advise?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:42 am

thanks for all of your replies guys i do appreciate it

so i will not precede to do this

i have found another recipe for the Jambon de Paris where the guy went to France and spent some years to learn their deities and food stuff ..

can i have some comments with you about it ?

thanks a lot !

-----------------------------------
about 1⁄2 kg (1¼ lb) boneless pork loin
infusion (for 1 liter of Brine):
50 ml (31⁄3 T)water

5 black peppercorns

1⁄2 fresh bay leaf

1 sprig fresh thyme

2 juniper berries, crushed

1⁄4 t rubbed sage

1⁄4 t crushed garlic

Brine:
1 liter (1 qt) water

35 g (11⁄4 oz) coarse salt

5 g curing salt (6.25% sodium nitrite)

1. Determine how much brine to prepare by placing the loin in the non‑reactive container to be used for brining. Add sufficient water to cover the loin. Remove the loin and set aside. Measure the liquid remaining to determine how much brine and infusion to prepare. Discard the water.
2. Determine the infusion ingredient amounts based on the proportions given above, scaling the amounts to match the quantity of brine to be prepared. Place the water in a small saucepan and add the remaining infusion ingredients. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Determine the brine ingredient amounts based on the proportions given above, scaling the amounts to match the quantity of brine to be prepared. Place the water in a non‑reactive container and add the 2 salts. Dissolve the salts completely.
4. Inject brine into the meat with the injection sites located about 3 cm (1‑in) from each other. The amount injected should not exceed about 50 ml (3 T) per pound of meat.
5. Strain the infusion into the brine. Discard the infusion solids. Add the meat to the brine. If the meat is not fully submerged, place a clean plate or other weight on the meat to keep it below the surface of the brine. Cover the container and place it a refrigerator for 3 days.
6. Each day, turn the meat in the brine and give the brine a stir.
7. On the last day of brining, remove the meat and discard the brine. Soak the meat will multiple changes of cold water over a period of about 30 minutes. Wipe dry with absorbent paper.
8. Place the meat on a rack in a refrigerator to dry overnight.
9. Hot smoke for at 90°C (195°F), or until the internal temperature reaches 65°C (150°F), about 6 hours.
10. Remove the meat from the smoker and allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
warston
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:19 pm

It's not possible to say categorically whether this cure recipe is OK without knowing the weight of meat and the amount of brine you propose to use.

However, a basic 500gm meat in a brine made with 1 litre liquid, 35gm salt and 5gm Cure #1 (6.25% nitrite), injected at 11% (50gm per 1 lb meat) and followed by 3 days immersion curing, as per above, will be safe.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:49 pm

wheels wrote:It's not possible to say categorically whether this cure recipe is OK without knowing the weight of meat and the amount of brine you propose to use.

However, a basic 500gm meat in a brine made with 1 litre liquid, 35gm salt and 5gm Cure #1 (6.25% nitrite), injected at 11% (50gm per 1 lb meat) and followed by 3 days immersion curing, as per above, will be safe.

Phil

gr8 thanks for your helpful answer phil !! that what i was looking for !!

just 1 question: if i'm doing a small pork leg which weight like 3 Kilo.. can i multiply the numbers up by 6 ( except the percentage of injection of course ) ?
then how many days i have to immerse it ?
warston
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Clarify for me please: you are asking whether 3kg meat in 6 litres of the brine cure (plus injection at 11%) will still be OK?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:17 pm

wheels wrote:Clarify for me please: you are asking whether 3kg meat in 6 litres of the brine cure (plus injection at 11%) will still be OK?

Phil

exactly
warston
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Yes it will be safe, assuming 18 days maximum cure time.

Please be aware that the injection will only put a small amount of actual curing salt/salt into the meat so you should hang the meat for a good while after curing so that the cure from the immersion part can even out in the meat (equalise).

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:03 am

wheels wrote:Yes it will be safe, assuming 18 days maximum cure time.

Please be aware that the injection will only put a small amount of actual curing salt/salt into the meat so you should hang the meat for a good while after curing so that the cure from the immersion part can even out in the meat (equalise).

Phil

thanks feel ! so i would inject 11% and then immerse it for 18 days, THEN
i do have to hang it ? for how long ? does the warm weather i have in the place i live will spoil the meat ?

and at the lvl of finishing the immersion , do i have to wash the piece under cold water from the excess salt or no need ?

thank you
warston
Registered Member

Next

Return to Curing Techniques