need some advice please

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

need some advice please

Postby the chorizo kid » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

this question involves the curing, and other processing, of smoked pork loin [what a german might call lachschinken]. i've made quite a few, but have not been happy with the texture. no matter what i try, the center seems to have a soft, waxy, wimpy [not chewy] mouth feel. this is hard to describe in words. i use morten's sugar cure, then cold smoke for a few hours, then let it hang about 55F and 75%RH until it feels firm. result: not so good.
years ago, i made one that was perfect, but i used only salt and saltpetre as a cure, and then did a somewhat higher smoking temp.
my question: does the cure i am using cause this defect? should i go back to just salt and saltpetre? what about cold vs higher temp smoking?
help, please.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:31 am

Hi Werner,
I wish somebody experienced would solve yopur problem as I am very interested in finding out what what the experts actually do.
I have made so-called lachschinken but smoked it to a chamber temperature of 80C for 1 hour.
It tasted OK but to compare it with something I ate in 1964 is impossible.
Members, we both need your help!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 am

Maybe go by weight loss instead of feeling for firmness to judge if it's ready?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55 am

Chorizo

I will ask my two girls and see what they come up with, might take a couple of days but they are always on line One of the girls used to make sausage in east Germany some time ago
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 am

This just sent to me, she is still looking

Lachsschinkens

Manufacturing

The tenderloin is a lengthy process, which extends over several weeks. The meat is only once properly replaced by the remaining strands of muscle and portioned. Disturbing, exterior fat layers are usually replaced, for a more intense taste; it can be left but also on the outer skin.

The process of pickling and smoking a Lachsschinkens has evolved over many generations and traditions. As a general rule: only pickle, then smoke. In the wet or dry curing, there are different approaches to the processing of meat. Normally, the meat in the production of bacon is dry cured.

Pickling in the La manufacture

To pickle the salmon of pig in first gear, the salt-spice mixture is put together first. It is the foundation of success in the salmon ham production. Depending on the regional custom formulations to various used

Thus, nitrate curing salt is applied for one kilo of loin 20 to 50 g. Spiked with various spices and a little sugar, so the meat is rubbed.
To the pickling yourself, there are ways. In wet curing is the meat in its own Lake rest left several days. The salt cut the Tenderloin of water and at the same time is enriched with the aroma of the salt seasoning. In dry curing during the production of the loin, packed to the loin in vacuum bags and lets it rest also several days. After this procedure, the ham receives his typical salmon pink color.

Completing the production of salmon ham: smoking

Then, it smoked the Tenderloin in several stages. Here, too, there are different methods, which may differ from region to region. In the large meat shops, he is hot smoked mostly over beech wood.
In doing so, waft you the meat at intervals of several hours several times alternately and then hang it to the rest. In addition removes water that kills germs and the tenderloin receives its typically mild as characteristic aroma. This flavor can be hearty or spicy depending on the used wood as well as duration of the maturity process. By the smoke, the flavours and fragrances pull better in the ham.

For the production of bacon, a lot of work is needed so that he is also very durable through the process. Loin itself make or buy brings several advantages. Of of the in-house production you can choose yourself about the ingredients that will contain the curing mixture.
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:49 pm

thanks for the help so far. greatly appreciated.
flavor is not my problem, nor is appearance, nor is drying. even if i let it hang to become almost rock hard, the meat has a waxy mouth feel. it even looks waxy when i cut it. i'm going to hot smoke my next batch, over fruit wood and a pan of water. perhaps the moist heat will change the mouthfeel of the meat. then i'll try a batch the old way, using only a salt brine and saltptre, and again hot smoke. i'll just keep plugging along. doh dee doh. happy holiday season to all.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques