Collagen Casings

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Collagen Casings

Postby ericrice » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:42 pm

I inadvertently ordered flat collagen casings instead of synthetic. Had plans to make summer sausage. I think I had read the flat collagen can't be poached or otherwise heated. Anyone know if that is accurate or if I am able to use them to temps up to 180F/82C poaching or steaming?

Still looking and on Len's site was where I first saw not to use them for steaming or poaching (on his main page). However for his beef summer sausage which does get cooked at temps to 180F/82C he does state to stuff into collagen casings.....
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Collagen Casings

Postby BriCan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 pm

ericrice wrote: Anyone know if that is accurate or if I am able to use them to temps up to 180F/82C poaching or steaming?.

If it dose not say waterproof anywhere ... I would not
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

I've poached large (inedible) collagen casings:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=466

Don't get them too hot though.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddwookiee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Are you positive it's collagen and not a clear fibrous casing? I use a 2 1/2" fibrous casing on my summer sausage and cook it at 200F in the smokehouse to no detriment. What is the precise labeling on the casing?
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks all for your responses. Oddwookie - they are definitely inedible collagen (description below from sausage maker)

60mm (2 3/8") x 24" Flat Collagen Casings These casings are most popular for beef summer sausages and pepperoni.

BriCan - I don't poach mine to cook them, i use an electric hotplate in my fermenting chamber with a pan of water that produces steam so basically I'm cooking them in a high humidity environment.

I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back on how I made out....
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:02 pm

I should have added to my post: "But when I cooked them in the oven the temp accidentally got to about 100°C and they dissolved!"

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ericrice » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for the update - looks like I'll be walking a fine line between success and failure. I guess I won't keep them hanging when I go to cook them then. Thinking I'll try a sheet pan with a rack to elevate them and steam away. Fingers crossed. Update on the disaster (or success) tomorrow... :?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:33 pm

In my opinion & experience, a collagen casing that big is too big a risk to mess with. I use 21mm x 50' length pepperoni stick collagen casings and stuff them in a continuous strand, doubled back every 42", then hung over a metal rod in the smokehouse. They're touchy; if they get abraded or poked, they can rip very, very easily. I don't think I'd ever work with a summer sausage sized collagen. Look around, you can very easily get fibrous casings that are much better suited to a hot cooking environment. Probably a sight cheaper, too- collagen is much more expensive then the fibrous.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Yes, I usually get and use synthetic for this purpose. I either mis-ordered or they sent the wrong casings this time. Too close to the holiday to wait for anotehr shipment so I'm full steam ahead and hoping for the best. Worse case I lose ~10 pounds of seasoned pork/beef.......

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:06 pm

FWIW my casings were the 90mm collagen from Butcher and Packer in the US.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Collagen Casing Update

Postby ericrice » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Success :D

Low and slow and the casings held up fine. I basically steamed them to get them to temp.

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques