Salami with Truffle Oil Recipe Wanted

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Salami with Truffle Oil Recipe Wanted

Postby ericrice » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 pm

Has anyone tried or seen a recipe for a dry cured salami using truffle oil? Love the aroma and was thinking over the weekend what a great addition that could be. Did some searching this morning but didn't come across any existing recipes.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:09 am

"The Tartufo starts as a Felino salami "

heres a clue from the prize winning tartufo slalmi

http://www.creminelli.com/tartufo-salam ... 2-lbs.html
be a bit careful with truffle oil too it can be fake truffle and can be over powering.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:11 pm

I was going to say exactly the same thing that snags did, worth checking a little in depth as most truffle oils in the markets are actually synthetic and it would be difficult to determine how their flavor might degrade during the aging process. If you're truly serious about using truffles you might want to look into getting some truffle pieces which can be purchased canned or in jars. While pricey and not as good as fresh at least you can be assured of the product's providence.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks to you both - I'll give a small batch a try. If through the aging it keeps the essence/aroma I'll consider that at least a small success.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm

And don't forget to report back. I've thought about the same thing and would love to hear your experience.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am

So it's in - Used the Genoa recipe from Marinski as the spices are pretty basic. Set aside 920g of meat, 6g of truffle oil (gotta start somewhere). 60mm Casing so I'll report back in ~6 weeks.

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Salami with Truffle Oil Recipe Wanted

Postby ericrice » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Been just shy of two months and I cut into this one last night. Happy to say no off taste or odor and the essence of truffle is definitely there. I used 0.65% of the meat weight in this one and I think next try I'll up that a little bit. The truffle oil was from Wegmans and I think it is a synthetic with some real truffle pieces at the bottom. Pic of that below and while I was uploading I added a pic of my curing room - have genoa, pepperoni, coppa, soppressata, chorizo and bresola at the moment.

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques