Size of Grind

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Size of Grind

Postby ericrice » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Have looked a bit and I'm sure it's been discussed but I haven't come across anything. Other than the obvious of size of fat in the mix what difference does the size of the grind have considering we are mixing to get a good bind regardless? Overall Texture? Just appearance? Something else I am missing?
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:51 am

From my perspective, it is a combination of texture, taste, and visual appeal. To me, this part is the art of charcuterie, more than the science. As you say, we are mixing to a good bind, regardless. I think that's why some sausages have large chunks of cubed fat, or bigger chunks of pork in a finer matrix of minced beef, or larger and smalller grinds of pork mixed, or the really fancy sausages that are built to look like flowers in cross-section...it's about taste, texture, mouthfeel, visual appeal, and in a shop - enticing customers to buy it.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby ericrice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Makes total sense and I appreciate the response.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques