Cure #1

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Cure #1

Postby ped » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:50 pm

Under any circumstances can you eat raw meat that has been cured with cure#1 and not cure#2?

Ped
ped
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Yes, it should be possible to make air-dried products that only use cure #1.

The nitrate in the cure #2 simply acts as a supply of nitrate to be converted to nitrite over time - nitrite gives protection quickly, nitrate over the longer term.

If you remove longer time scales, it should be perfectly safe. Also, nitrite has an unusual characteristic in that once it has given protection: that protection tends to last.

So, if you do air-dried projects that have fairly short drying times you should be fine. Pancetta and thinner types of salami spring to mind.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ped » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks Phil, but as an example, if you just hang beef for a period you can still eat it raw if it is quality meat right?, but if you wanted to eat it raw past what is generally accepted (whatever that might be?) as a reasonable hanging period could you add cure#1 and it still be edible raw?. I suppose you could apply that question to a salami that has cure#2, can you eat it before all nitrite/nitrate has been absorbed, say after a month or so when the meat is still soft?

Ped
ped
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Ah, you're talking more like Carpaccio rather than as an air-dried meat.

In that case, I'm not sure. It's not something I've ever considered. I'll have to put my 'thinking head' on.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Curing Techniques