Just Call Me Lazy

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Just Call Me Lazy

Postby ericrice » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Have 45lbs (20kilos) of CT Butts for Coppa coming this Friday. In the past I've taken on 1 or 2 at a time, this will be 8-10. What I planned to do is mix up the cure for the whole batch at once, weigh one piece at a time and then weigh out the appropriate amount of cure from the master batch.

Anyone see any real issue with the possible "mix" of dry ingredients and cure being off to the extent I shouldn't do it this way (off as in distribution of the ingredients throughout the master batch, not the overall weight)?
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Just Call Me Lazy

Postby wheels » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:19 pm

I can't see any particular problem with doing this.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:54 pm

I'm doing 25 kg also (today or tomorrow depending on my work load and time) I make a bulk mix for the whole amount (this time 25kg) and run each individual piece through the cure/spice mix and I have no problems
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks both - two fo the folks I was hoping to get a response from.
BriCan - I had thought with you doing lots of things in bulk and you had done something similar. So I assume you don't even bother to weigh the individual portions from the master, just roll around and coat each one well? One other question, should I vac pac each one individually or can I place them all in a tub - if in a tub do I need to make sure they aren't touching or can I just pack them in?
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:55 pm

ericrice wrote:Thanks both - two fo the folks I was hoping to get a response from.
BriCan - I had thought with you doing lots of things in bulk and you had done something similar. So I assume you don't even bother to weigh the individual portions from the master, just roll around and coat each one well?

each one that I am (have done) are are of a similar weight (2.042 kg each) and as I have done many times before from thick pieces from around the shoulder blade to be cured for steak and bacon burgers this process will/should/and dose for me work -- salt, cure, spices all mixed together and the appropriate pieces rubbed/dredged through the mixture

One other question, should I vac pac each one individually or can I place them all in a tub - if in a tub do I need to make sure they aren't touching or can I just pack them in?

you can if you want vac pac them but I do not bother, I pack into a container making sure that they are elevated so that they do not sit in the residue liquid that come off the meat while curing and yes they are touching each other

take a look at this there is an album on Coppa that I do

HIH

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goodrick ... 586?ref=hl
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 pm

They all look amazing (and so does everything else). Coppa were the first product (other than bacon) I was successful with and I still think one of the easier ones to get right and of course a good Coppa is wonderful in so many ways. Taste, appearance, texture....

Glad I still have two ready to eat or I might have been taking a drive North West!

As always - thanks for the advice.

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Lazy. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 am

Just an update, I managed between other jobs to get the Coppa put down. I used salt, cure, white pepper, Juniper berries, whole fennel seed, cloves and ginger

Below is the thick pieces of pork shoulder that I cure for my steak and bacon burgers

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 pm

WOW - I think I may have to make the drive to try one of the burgers - if I leave now I think I'l be there (driving) sometime late Saturday :D

I have one other question - I've read several times/places not to drain the liquid and to have the meat stay in contact with it (or is that just for bacon)? Is there a specific reason you elevate the meat?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:01 pm

ericrice wrote:I have one other question - I've read several times/places not to drain the liquid and to have the meat stay in contact with it (or is that just for bacon)? Is there a specific reason you elevate the meat?

Unless you are doing a vacuum cure (or immersion) method always keep the meat you are curing away from the liquid that is given off when curing, anything that sits in the liquid for some time will get hard and get a burn from the cure. In the old days we would (and there probable still are curing tables made out of slate/marble that slope from back to front and ether left to right or right to left. This is to facilitate the draining of the liquid coming off the meat. Salt boxes do the same thing, they have holes in the bottom.

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:26 pm

BriCan (or anyone else with an opinion) - will be doing my coppa tonight. Can't fit them in a single layer in my refrigerator. I do have other options but is there a concern with stacking the coppa if not individually wrapped? Also, do you overhaul yours or just rub, let them go and rub again?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:44 pm

ericrice wrote:BriCan (or anyone else with an opinion) - will be doing my coppa tonight. Can't fit them in a single layer in my refrigerator. I do have other options but is there a concern with stacking the coppa if not individually wrapped? Also, do you overhaul yours or just rub, let them go and rub again?

If you look at the top photo you might be able to see that there are Coppa curing on a bottom layer, I have 12 pieces there 6 on the bottom and 6 on the top.. In the old day with a mass such as this and the curing time was 28 days we would rotate the stack every 7 days. I only do 7 days on these so just leave as you see in the photos for the 7 days.

After 7 days I will wash and soak in cold water for a few hours to remove excess (safety precaution for me) salt then hang to dry until tacky and recoat with spices that I had left over from the curing stage and then place in beef caps that have been soaking in ether white wine or orange juice (things you try and they work :wink: )

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:11 pm

and got additional great advice. Appreciated as always!

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Just a short update on the pork shoulder that we use for our Steak and Bacon burgers

Ayrshire Shoulder bacon (Cold Smoked) - We use this in our famous Steak and Bacon Burgers

Request a Bacon Burger at any fast food outlet and you will get a burger with a couple of strips of bacon (?) placed on top – We invented the Ultimate Bacon Burger by incorporating Quality dry cured handmade bacon within the burger mix for a mind altering treat :D

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 pm

That looks and the burgers sound amazing. When will you be shipping overnight to the east coast (USA)?

Just finished stuffing all my coppa last night. I still follow Poli's 15-18 days in the cooler with a second rub down. Plan to try shortening that and one rub on a smaller test batch as well as leaving the liquid drain away.

Question for the more experienced with Coppa (BriCan) - my CT Butts (collar roasts) are in the 4-5lb range (2kilo). I have the largest bungs I can find at 5" (125mm). Most take a bit (or a lot) of work to get in the casing. While working it in I always feel like I'm losing so much of the final spice rub. Any tricks to help or is that just part of the process?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques