Removing Surface Mould on Finished Sausages

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Removing Surface Mould on Finished Sausages

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:04 am

I have almost finished my test batch of Spanish chorizo and everything is looking great! I'm at 25% weight loss and the sausages have a great layer of good mould that I cultured from some salami skin. So my question: after they are finished curing, what would be the best way to remove the surface mould? Should I wipe it off with vinegar? That seems a bit much for all five sausages. Is there a preferred method for doing this? Thanks gang!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Re: Removing Surface Mould on Finished Sausages

Postby BriCan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:44 am

ComradeQ wrote:I have almost finished my test batch of Spanish chorizo and everything is looking great! I'm at 25% weight loss and the sausages have a great layer of good mould that I cultured from some salami skin. So my question: after they are finished curing, what would be the best way to remove the surface mould? Should I wipe it off with vinegar? That seems a bit much for all five sausages. Is there a preferred method for doing this? Thanks gang!

Use a soft nylon brush, :wink: do not use any liquid. :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby tommix » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 pm

BriCan is definitely right about no liquid! I wanted to clean the mold off of a batch of salami I had done, I had brushed a few but then got in a hurry and thought that I could just "wash it off". Big mistake, all I got was a slimey mess.....brushing is the only way that I know of, unless you can peel the casing off.
tommix
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:37 pm

tommix wrote:BriCan is definitely right about no liquid! I wanted to clean the mold off of a batch of salami I had done, I had brushed a few but then got in a hurry and thought that I could just "wash it off". Big mistake, all I got was a slimey mess.....brushing is the only way that I know of, unless you can peel the casing off

Yeah, good point, that's why I asked, wanted to avoid the slimy mess, lol.

BriCan wrote:Use a soft nylon brush, :wink: do not use any liquid. :(

I have a bunch of toothbrushes, soft bristle (sister is a dental hygienist) so I will try with a new clean one of those. Thanks for the advice!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby larry » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:42 pm

I usually leave the mold on, and it comes off with the casing rather easily. If you want it off, I have had some success with a damp, but not wet, paper towel that has been dampened with very salty water. If you get the mold damp, it usually dies, and can then be brushed off with a dry towel. I've found that once my sausages have spent a day or so in the refrigerator after having been aged, the casings come off more easily and the mold is not a big problem. I usually freeze some of the moldy casing for future use, and that has worked beautifully.
larry
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques