What are the issues with curing chorizo at lower temps?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

What are the issues with curing chorizo at lower temps?

Postby Sojourn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:33 am

Hi All,

My EHO (Environmental Health Officer) is going to have issues with me curing and drying my sausages at normal temps.

My meat chiller runs at 0'c to 2'c, has anyone tried curing chorizo at this temperature after the primary fermentation stage?

Cheers,

Dave
Sojourn
Registered Member

Re: What are the issues with curing chorizo at lower temps?

Postby ericrice » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:59 am

Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby Sojourn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for the pointer, so basically I should be fine at that temp :)

Thanks again,

Dave
Sojourn
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure that you will. If I recall correctly, Brican only uses those temperatures after a period at the normal air-drying temps and humidity. In fact, the 0-2°C that you mention is at the extremes (many would even say below) for even curing the meat in the first place.

You need further discussion with your EHO to educate them about making air-dried products. It's their ignorance that needs changing - not your process.

There are some well established salami producers in Wales - maybe one of these could be offered as an example of the fact that such low temps are inappropriate and too a degree could produce a less safe product.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Sojourn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks Phil, good point. I'm unfortunate to fall under the scope of Bridgend Borough Councils area, they're very strict due to the isdues a few years back to which I'm sure you know about.

I will indeed speak to them again re the curing of my sausages and get something in writing and then contact other big curers ie Gornos etc and see how they manage.

Thanks yet again,

Dave
Sojourn
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Its not about being strict - its about them knowing what the hell they are on about!

You cannot cure like this, you might dry, but you wont be making good chorizo.

Its like the EHO having a problem with using salt :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Trealy Farm in Pontypool, nice people though I'm sure, may not be willing to share info as they may see you as competitors, but a chat with the EHO for that area may give you some info that could be used as a negotiating tool with the local EHO.

The trouble is, in any food business, it's best to have the EHO on side. It needs very careful handling.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Sojourn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:36 am

Thanks both, I'll speak further with my EHO and work something out, they're really friendly and I do want to keep a good relationship with them. Thatnks for the trealy farm info, I'll give them a shout.

Cheers,

Dave
Sojourn
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:57 pm

I agree about keeping the EMO people on side as they can make ones life seem like hell, my background is one so know ‘most’ of the ins and outs.

If one shows due diligence (HACCP sheets) one can ‘usually’ proceed doing it the way I do it after they have gone away and study things (and also taking a sample for testing)

quietwatersfarm wrote:You cannot cure like this, you might dry, but you wont be making good chorizo.

Any possibility that you could expand, I could reply but it seems that I step into the ‘deep hot end’ :oops:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 pm

no deep hot end to step into here! :) :)

My point was that to dry cure you want a temp of around 60 - 65F (I appreciate there are various, fairly minor, differences for specifics products/needs) as well as 70ish% humidity (see earlier caveats again).

I think these are the temps for the curing process to work reliably and effectively and produce the right end product. Temps that the OP was referring to (0 - 2C) would slow or stop the necessary curing process.

As I said, you could use just RH and air movement to effectively 'dry' a sausage but this isn't at all the same as dry curing it in my view.

We can sometimes use fridges to rectify issues occasionally (such as case hardening etc) but this is retrospective correction of something that ideally wouldn't have happened and that very seldom does if things are right in the curing chamber.

An EHO expecting you to use a fridge running at 0 - 2C to cure sausage would IMO appear not to understand the process, I am sure, as you say, this can be overcome by a diligent approach to HACCP's etc (we had to do one for each different product) but also them doing a bit of basic reading.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques