Salami Questions

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Re: Salami Questions

Postby tommix » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm

If you use the F-LC culture that should take care of the listeria concern.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/productdocs ... c_info.pdf
tommix
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 pm

tommix wrote:If you use the F-LC culture that should take care of the listeria concern.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/productdocs ... c_info.pdf

My understanding is 'no'

I am at the present doing some read up on it due to an good friend who has offer of 2 commercial smokehouses that are currently no being used ~~ the plant was shut down due to listeria (swabs taken via health department) in there drains

My read up over the last few hours has been to combat is to keep things 'clean'
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:46 pm

My wife was pregnant recently and in my admittedly limited experience it's best to just let the preggos have their way for 9 months even if they're being unreasonable. Aside from your bruised pride in your salami products there's nothing lost if they won't eat it.

In fact, if you vac seal it and bung it in the fridge for 9 months it will probably taste better when she's no longer in such a delicate situation.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:50 pm

Wunderdave wrote:In fact, if you vac seal it and bung it in the fridge for 9 months it will probably taste better.

If vac sealed and left in fridge would be better so that the flavors can meld/grow ~~ in a freezer it will stop all movement on flavor building :(
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Good to know BriCan, I have always wondered about that actually. I have a spare fridge it's not an issue for me currently but my wife has designs on converting my "beer room" where that fridge lives into a bedroom so I may lose that cold storage space permanently and have to settle for a garage freezer.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Kaiser Soze » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:37 am

Just on the listeria thing...

I know different countries have different guidelines, but in Aus it's recommended that pregnant women don't eat cold meats, salamis, soft cheeses and pre-prepared salads, due to listeria issues. Anything cooked is fine, so possibly you could cook some salami if she wanted a taster?
Kaiser Soze
Registered Member

Postby MarkD51 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 am

Those Salamis looked to be right up my sidewalk! Truly "drooling specialties"!
Wow!
MarkD51
Registered Member

Postby Smoky » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:38 pm

I am new to this site and have been making Italian salamis for many years. I made two Capicolas last year, cured them in pure salt only as per a recipe for whole muscle meat. I washed them in wine then rolled them in fennel,paprika, ground red pepper and anise seed, and stuffed then in beef bungs. After they lost 30% of there weight I put them in tall jars and covered them with olive oil, held them of 11 months at basement temperature of 60 degrees. They turned out beautiful, A close match to prociutti.

My question is can I use the oil technique on soppressa to age it, and would it be worthwhile?

Smoky
Smoky
Newly Registered

Postby herjac » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Smoky wrote:After they lost 30% of there weight I put them in tall jars and covered them with olive oil, held them of 11 months at basement temperature of 60 degrees. They turned out beautiful, A close match to prociutti.

My question is can I use the oil technique on soppressa to age it, and would it be worthwhile?

Smoky

My Italian friends have been using this technique always with their soppressata with success. I found it to be messy so I vacuum pack and leave in a cool spot or the frig.
herjac
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques