Minimum weight loss for safety?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Minimum weight loss for safety?

Postby Dibbs » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Is a cured muscle safe to eat raw without any, or very little, drying? If not, what is the minimum weight loss for safety?

The reason I ask is that a local bar sells something called Carne Salata Malenca which is cured and lightly smoked beef. Texture wise it is much closed to carpaccio than bresoala hence I don't think it is dried much, if at all, although it is claimed that it is aged for 8 weeks.

I've seen them take a new one out of the fridge. It comes vacuum packed and is quite wet on the outside when opened. It doesn't look smoked on the outside, just like a fresh joint. So it looks like it's cured, cased, cold smoked, uncased and then vacuum packed and kept refrigerated. Does that sound like a safe procedure? If not, how would you go about reproducing this?

Thanks.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Re: Minimum weight loss for safety?

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 pm

I think you will find this is eye of silverside cured in a quite fragrant spice mix typical of northern Italy (cinamon, cloves etc) for a very short time (7-10 days) and then dried off and only lightly smoked. Thats why its so moist and eaten sliced thin like bresoala. Given that you could basically eat this raw I cant see any particular health risk from eating after a quick dip in salt :)

Weight loss would be irrelevant really.

Lovely stuff! where abouts is your local bar?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks, I might have a go at making something similar.

Here's where they sell it.

http://www.friendsofham.com/
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 pm

That looks like a good reason to go to Leeds!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 pm

onewheeler wrote:That looks like a good reason to go to Leeds!

Martin/

Oh it certainly is - and it's only a couple of minute's walk from the train station. This little bar opened last summer and immediately became one of my favourite places. I work in the city centre so I often drop in for a beer and some meat and/or cheese on my way home.

In fact, it's that bar that got me interested in making my own charcuterie and cheese again. I did some salami, biltong and cheese in the late 90's but, until recently, the last were a "cheddar" and "stilton" I made for millenium new year.

Recently I've made finocciona, chorizo and lomo from Franco's premade mixes and a "tomme" cheese I made from raw milk from the farmer's market in Headingley.

If you're seriously considering coming up to Leeds to go there, it's probably best to avoid Friday evening. The place gets rammed solid. In contrast, Sunday afternoons there are pretty chilled.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques