Capocollo drying speed

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Capocollo drying speed

Postby ped » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:10 am

Have a Capocollo which has lost 38%weight in 30 days, all the info I read advises that drying takes around twice as long, do you think it will be case hardened?, I don't want to cut into it yet so intend to vac pack it but could the shortness in drying time be more attributable to leanness rather than too much air circulation?
ped
Registered Member

Re: Capocollo drying speed

Postby wheels » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:18 pm

38% in 30 days? With something with that girth, it sounds heck of a quick dry. What conditions was it in?

What does it look and feel like? Does it feel hard on the outside, but 'squidgy' when squeezed?

What makes you say: "...could the shortness in drying time be more attributable to leanness?"

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Capocollo drying speed

Postby ped » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Phil

With what you are asking it occurs to me that my butcher perhaps supplied me with just the 'Money Muscle' which I assume is smaller than a whole coppa/capocollo ? therefore it is bound to cure faster?
What do you think, could that be the answer?

p.s. he just slapped the meat on the counter and said, "Do something with that", so I haven't paid for it and he will want some back so I don't want to screw up!, otherwise he might not give me any more :)
ped
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques