Dry Aged Steaks

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Dry Aged Steaks

Postby ericrice » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I've read a little bit on the subject but figured someone on here had experience with dry aging beef. If so any tips/tricks you can share?
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Dry Aged Steaks

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi Eric,
I am getting very interested in these UMAi bags for dry ageing steaks and making charcuterie after seeing several short clips on YouTube on how to do it all.
Do any forum members have used these?
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby Leevers » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:31 am

Don't take my word for anything as I'm very new to all this, however, I was doing some electrical work for a guy in the hills of Perth and he dry's large amounts of beef in a strange, but logical method. I'm not sure whether this is what you're referring to.

He places a large layer of salt in his vegetable crisper in the fridge and then he places the beef in it (3-5kg) for I think he said 48 hours. He then takes out the beef and replaces the salt in the crisper and repeats this method. He then hangs it in his shed for 4-6weeks after which he just slices it with a knife and eats it. I'm sure this method comes with risks, but he swears by it and short of spending a fortune on salt to do it, I guess it could be considered dry aging?
Leevers
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:41 am

Hi Leevers,
I have never seen anybody use this method of dry ageing beef and I don't think I would be keen on trying it either. Perth is a hot climate (watch the cricket) and I would use cure to be on the safe side.
Mind you, a Rhodesian friend of mine told me that many years ago when they were patrolling the bush, they cut meat from dead animals that were bloated fairly well.
It saved helicopter drops and disclosure of positions.
The useage of these UMAi bags are fairly well explained on YouTube for any one interested.
A forum friend here in Australia uses them to make all sorts of dried/cured charcuterie with fantastic results.
Cheers,
Jan
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Wow, I've never seen those before, if everything they say about them's true, they're super for home curer's.

I've emailed them to see if there's a UK agent.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:08 pm

I Phil,
Have a look on the Wedliny Domowe USA Forum. In Hyde Park, check UMAI Dry Aging Bags.
A forum member "Irdeer" posted some amazing photo's of what he made using these bags.
I am still amazed what is possible using these bags apart from Dry Ageing Steaks.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:23 am

Dry aging anything less than the size of a sub primal cut is only going to ruin a good small cut of beef. Dry aging is the process of hanging, usually a full side of beef, or perhaps a sub primal cut in a controlled room for days or weeks. The weight loss from moisture loss, and also from trimming is quite large. Using this process on small cuts such as steaks merely results in a dried out steak sitting open in a fridge, nothing more. There have been some advancements in the use of moisture permeable plastic bags for smaller cuts, but I have yet to hear of a good dry aged steak being produced from these short cuts. They seem more of a way for folks to sell new gadgets to consumers. The restaurants have not helped with these myths by promoting what they now called wet aged, which is nothing more than an old steak that has been stored in a vacuum bag, with a high price tag. Buyer be ware here. Go out and have a good 20-30 day dry aged steak some time and then use that as a reference point, and think twice before spending money on gimmicks.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 am

Hi Rod,
I only intend using these UMAi bags for making dried/cured charcuterie. The proof is there that they work very well.
My butcher supplies me steaks that are hung for quite some time from chilled carcases.
Not cheap though but they melt in the mouth.
Best Wishes for Christmas and 2014.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:57 pm

RodinBangkok - what you are referring to was really what I was after when I started this thread. I have read enough to understand that after water loss and trimming you can lose close to 50% of the original product weight. Although I have been able to read up on how to do this online I was hoping someone here had experience to share. As most of us know through charcuterie even with the "book" knowledge there is a learning curve before consistent success.

I appreciate everyones input!!
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:43 pm

Resurrecting an old thread!

Phil, did you ever hear back about a UK agent for the Umai Dry Aging bags?

I came across > this < recently, and by the glory of Cthulhu, now I really want to dry age some beef!

The closest I've managed to find in the UK [so far] is > here <. I've requested a free sample, so let's see if they reply.
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:00 pm

I've not tried them yet Gus, due to being laid up in bed.

Marc Willmott the Business Development Manager at http://www.wealdpackaging.co.uk offered me some for review, but it'll have to wait until I'm mobile again.

Turan also sells a dry-aging bags:

http://www.smokedust.co.uk/store/produc ... ucts_id/99

http://www.smokedust.co.uk/store/produc ... cts_id/101

HTH
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kil2k » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:23 pm

wheels wrote:I've not tried them yet Gus

Just because I've started cold smoking everything I can get my hands on, doesn't mean I'm turning into Gus; I still haven't smoked Marmite! :lol:

Marc Willmott the Business Development Manager at http://www.wealdpackaging.co.uk offered me some for review, but it'll have to wait until I'm mobile again.

Turan also sells a dry-aging bags:

http://www.smokedust.co.uk/store/produc ... ucts_id/99

http://www.smokedust.co.uk/store/produc ... cts_id/101

Cool. If I get a reply and they send me a sample, I'll test it out as soon as it arrives. If not, I'll buy the ones from Turan. Thanks for the links!
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:12 am

Oops, sorry! :oops: :oops:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dibbs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:32 pm

I've used the bags from smokedust. They work but lose some of their vacuum in a day or two. I've found it best to put some elastic netting over the bag to keep it tight on the meat.
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:11 pm

wheels wrote:Oops, sorry! :oops: :oops:

Phil

No worries! :lol:

I received a reply from Tony Willmott - he's sending me a sample. I guess I'll be building myself a curing chamber in the very near future :)
kil2k
Registered Member

Next

Return to Curing Techniques