Humidity During Fermentation

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Humidity During Fermentation

Postby Jackfrost80 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:24 am

Hi All
I am going to start making salami, cacciatore and chorizo and have a curing fridge setup ready to go with a humidifier inside.I am also about to purchase a 'fermenting chamber' (freezer/fridge) but I don't want to fork out another $120 for the temp & humidity controller and another $48 for the humidifier as I already have a temperature controller for my beer freezer setup that I can use.

In Rhulman's book he makes no mention of humidity during fermentation however other recipes I have researched all indicate the need to have high humidity (85-90%) during fermentation. Would I be able to get away with a salt pan for the fermentation stage and if so should I be looking at using a freezer to make sure that the humidity levels stay high?
Jackfrost80
Registered Member

Re: Humidity During Fermentation

Postby NCPaul » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:50 am

I use a tray of water with a paper towel hanging in it at right angles to wick up the water. My chamber is my oven with the light on for heat. I cover the salami with a second pan so they are not directly exposed to light. Welcome to the forum. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Jackfrost80 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:29 am

Cheers NCPaul. I live in Perth, Australia and we probably get a handful of weeks per year where we need heat to ferment. Am I right in assuming you dont' hang your salami as I don't have room in my second freezer and would save money by not having to purchase another one if I can lay them on a shelf
Jackfrost80
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:58 pm

That's correct, I ferment them flat on a tray then hang them to dry. I roll them over if I remember.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Curing Techniques