To ferment or not to ferment

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

To ferment or not to ferment

Postby Dryamilehi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:51 am

I have had a coppa curing for 3 weeks now. I plan on stuffing it tomorrow. What's the conensus view on fermenting?
Dryamilehi
Registered Member

Re: To ferment or not to ferment

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:01 am

Strictly, there is no fermentation with whole muscles but a short spell in similar conditions can jump start your 600 or surface bloom and get the drying process underway well.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:37 pm

I've never fermented either and the end result is always fantastic and I haven't had a problem getting mold to take either. Top right are coppas going now.

Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby Dryamilehi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:45 am

Thanks for the response guys. I didn't think it was necessary but find it in most recipes. I just moved it over to the drying chamber. Figured I'd give the mold a little jump start at room temp. Wish me luck, this is my third try on coppa and salami and I'm really hoping things work out this time.
Dryamilehi
Registered Member

Postby Dryamilehi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:46 am

By the way your stuff is looking good Eric.
Dryamilehi
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:01 am

Dryamilehi _ thanks for that. Lots of failures along the way but I think I'm running on all cylinders now and boy am I having fun (along with all the friends and family that get it). Along these lines, from the wedlimydomwe site - a culture for whole muscles? Anyone know anything about it? Any experience? I'm intrigued.

C-P-77
is a single strain meat culture for enhancing color and flavor formation in cured meat
products. The culture has a high salt tolerance and secures the formation of pleasant
curing flavor and stable color. Additionally, the culture retards rancidity formation.

Usage
C-P-77 is recommended in the production of cured meat products which are
produced from raw materials with a normal pH.

Directions for use
The culture should be added directly to the curing salt or to the brine. Dissolution
prior to use is not recommendable. During acclimatization the recommended
temperature is 6°C (43°F) as a minimum. When the salt penetration is finalized the
temperature should be maximum 30°C (86°F).
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques