Do you need to put whole muscle in a casing

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Do you need to put whole muscle in a casing

Postby gnjk » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:59 pm

I am hanging (after curing) pork belly, bresoala and soon a muscle from a shoulder of pork. I have wrapped them in a single cover of muslin and tied them up. The new pork I plan to net on top of the muslin. Is this ok as I would rather not have to buy beef bung which is I believe the right size of casing for this type of product.
I have seen conflicting advice so would appreciate any clarity that can be offered. My shed maintains a nice 10 c +/-1 and RH of 79 to 84% and a modest airflow from a small window.
gnjk
Registered Member

Re: Do you need to put whole muscle in a casing

Postby larry » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:48 pm

I have found that muscles will cure without casing, but will develop mold. I can get the mold off with a strong salt rinse or vinegar, but it is not as easy as peeling a casing off. I prefer to put muscles in casing. The exception is pancetta, which if the outside is mostly fatty and not lean, won't develop mold as easily. I usually put coppa in a synthetic casing, and if it is too big to fit, I will cut two casings and overlap them, trying to tie them as neatly as I can. Little gaps are not a big deal, but the casing keeps the mold from sticking tenaciously to the meat. I should point out that all of the mold I get is good white mold based on my early use of Mold 600 powder, and subsequently harvesting the mold off of casings for new batches.
larry
Registered Member

Postby gnjk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Larry thanks for that. I haven't any mould on my bresoala yet 3 weeks tomorrow nor on my salami. I am trying to source a mould culture in the UK.
gnjk
Registered Member

Postby herjac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:19 pm

If you have trouble sourcing Mold 600 try making your own.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8561
herjac
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques