Importance of air circulation?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Importance of air circulation?

Postby ericrice » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Have gone back through my best reference manual (The art of...) in an attempt to get an answer to this but I still haven't gotten a clear answer to a nagging question.

In earlier posts I had indicated I had a curing room built this year in part of my basement - nothing huge but definitely much larger than a fridge setup.

With it I have no issues keeping steady and high humidity. Some natural airflow takes place very slowly, humidifiers kick on for short periods and all is good. To give an idea of how little the humidifiers run I have not had to fill my crane in 3 weeks and it is close to empty but not there yet. Room is about 400 cubic ft (11 cubic meters) or so. However I had never given much thought to airflow since using my kegerators I would just crack the door a bit as needed to lower the humidity and everything was working great.

Based on everything I have read the reference to fans seems to indicate they are used to remove excess humidity, I haven't seen anything indicate they are required for any other purpose - I fully understand they also help speed up drying to some degree but is it needed. So my million dollar question for the group - if I have a setup that maintains constant humidity around 75% with very little air exchange other than knowing the room isn't air tight - is airflow still required for a successful outcome?
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Importance of air circulation?

Postby wheels » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:51 pm

The airflow recommended for air drying rooms is:

oddley wrote:These are the air velocity's for commercial production of dried sausages.For the first 2-4 days the air velocity 0.5–0.8 m/sec

5–10 days air velocity 0.2–0.5 m/sec

to 90 days air velocity 0.05–0.1 m/sec

viewtopic.php?t=1629&start=#p13134

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Curing Techniques