cure chamber ?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

cure chamber ?

Postby mudflap620v » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:04 am

In the process of bulding a chamber I cut a coolant line In two.Can I still use the frig for a chamber?
mudflap620v
Registered Member

Re: cure chamber ?

Postby Dingo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi Mudflap620v...That depends on a couple of things.....If your plan was to use the fridge to de-humidify and regulate temps in the chamber then I would say no. If you are just using it as a vessel in which you have other means of humidity/temp control then yes.
What's you average ambient temp and RH at the chambers location?
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby mudflap620v » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:07 am

I have a plug and play that you plug the fridge and the humidifier into and It controls temp/humidity.I'm In central California where the humidity Is pretty low and the average temp. Is maybe 55 In the winter and anywhere from 85 to 105 In the summer.
mudflap620v
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:23 am

If you cut one of the refrigerant gas lines then the fridge will no longer cool, or de-humidify. If it is a clean cut you might be able to repair it and get it re-gassed?
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby mudflap620v » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks,I kinda figured I screwed It up when I hit that line I just wanted to make sure before I got rid of It.I think I'll just try to find another one and start over,being careful this time not to cut anything.Thanks again for the response.
mudflap620v
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Just as a note...i've never cut into any of my curing cabinets. I look for a top freezer and just plug my hygrostat and temp controller in and go with it. Saves any of the risk. I can hang up to 24" generally.

Dingo
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:46 am

Just to clarify for us guys this side of the pond. Would this be what we call a chest freezer? The door's on the top, rather than the front?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dingo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:43 am

wheels wrote:Just to clarify for us guys this side of the pond. Would this be what we call a chest freezer? The door's on the top, rather than the front?

Phil

Nope...Just any cheap fridge/freezer combo that has the smaller freezer compartment on top and the fridge below. I just ignore the freezer bit and and use the fridge bit...no choppy choppy. In this rugby-less land,(sorry.. 6 nations is coming up) chest freezers are called Pit Freezers FYI.

Dingo Dog
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:00 am

Dingo wrote:
wheels wrote:In this rugby-less land,(sorry.. 6 nations is coming up) chest freezers are called Pit Freezers FYI.

Well that's a new one for me....I've never heard them called a "pit freezer"....almost always "chest freezer" but sometimes old timers call them a "deep freeze."

~Martin :wink:
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Dingo wrote:
wheels wrote:Just to clarify for us guys this side of the pond. Would this be what we call a chest freezer? The door's on the top, rather than the front?

Phil

Nope...Just any cheap fridge/freezer combo that has the smaller freezer compartment on top and the fridge below. I just ignore the freezer bit and and use the fridge bit...no choppy choppy. In this rugby-less land,(sorry.. 6 nations is coming up) chest freezers are called Pit Freezers FYI.

Dingo Dog

Many thanks.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dingo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Interesting...I guess it is a regional thing. I've heard it called chest and pit round here...mostly pit. Where I grew up in regional australia we called them deep freezers.
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:41 pm

At least here in the midwest, all chest freezers are deep freezers but not all deep freezers are chest freezers.
It's called a chest freezer if the lid is on top (like a Hope Chest). Tall units the size of a refrigerator but entirely freezer are simply called (deep) freezers.
The Deep refers to non self-defrosting types which are typically used for long term storage, not the dimension from top to bottom.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques