How long do you cure your Bresaola??

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

How long do you cure your Bresaola??

Postby tommix » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:03 pm

I read that Wheels cures his for 30 days, Jason Molinari says from 15 to 21 days and the UMAi dry bag site says for 14 days. I realize that the size of the piece of meat makes a difference. I read the recipe on Wheel's local food heroes site, (thank-you by the way), and he does not mention the size of the piece of meat he is curing.
Anyway I have two well trimmed beef eye of rounds that I just put in a dry cure; one weighs 1193 grams and the other 1177 grams. What would you suggest for the curing time?

Thanks
tommix
Registered Member

Re: How long do you cure your Bresaola??

Postby wheels » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:17 pm

The last one I did was 1535gm. I don't know why mine differs from Jason's 'cos as I say in my blog, it's just an adaption of his. I'm guessing I decided to do it a bit longer because curing beef has always been my 'bête noire' - if it can go wrong it always seems to go wrong with beef!

Both cures are of the type that are not (within reason) time sensitive; you could increase the time of Jason's or reduce the time of mine with no major issues.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tommix » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks for the response Phil. I did a couple a while back and cured them for 14 days just because they were my first ones and I was just following directions. I believe that the cure reached all the way to the center of the meat. I did not know if curing them longer would impart any more flavor to the meat or not. I think that I will go for 20 days this time and see what the difference is in taste.
tommix
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:37 am

It seems to me that if they're cured, they're cured. My problem has always been an uncured bit in the middle!

If you're getting a result in 14 days, 30 seems excessive.

Your 20 days seems sensible.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Curing Techniques