Bacon curing kit questions

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Bacon curing kit questions

Postby kil2k » Wed May 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Hey fellas. My missus bought me this kit [http://tinyurl.com/qh4yt2v] 11 months ago, and I've finally got round to deciding to give it a crack. Just a few questions:

The cures are for 500gm pork belly. I have 3 pieces defrosting in the fridge which range from ~460gm - 520gm. Will it be ok to use the whole sachets on each piece, or should I use slightly less on the smaller pieces, and maybe add some of the other cures to the larger piece?

The instructions say to vacuum pack and refrigerate the meat with the cure for two days, turn it and leave for another two days, then rinse off the meat, place in muslin, then hang in the fridge for another 3 days. Hanging the meat will be impossible in my fridge, so I was planning to place it in the muslin, and put them on a wire rack in the fridge. Apparently, after this process the bacon should be done. Does this sound reasonable to you?

There is nothing in the instructions about smoking the meat afterwards. I've seen a few people mention it though. Is that an American thing?

Finally, as the meat has already been frozen, and defrosted in the fridge, will it be ok to re-freeze after I've cured and sliced the bacon, or am I going to be eating 1.5Kg bacon of the next few days? :drool:
kil2k
Registered Member

Re: Bacon curing kit questions

Postby wheels » Thu May 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi,

Yes, in theory you should use the mix pro rata, 92% on the small bit, 102% on the larger - but I'm sure that just this once we'll forgive you if you don't!

For the rest, you can follow the tutorial here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4835

In the UK, bacon is used both smoked and unsmoked: either way it's uncooked. If it's smoked, it's usually cold-smoked.

US bacon is often hot-smoked, cooking it in the process.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kil2k » Thu May 14, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks Phil. I always wondered why American bacon was so different. Might give that a go next time; any excuse to use my smoker!

I adjusted the quantities by sight. I'm sure it'll be fine, but if I stop posting in a week or so something went wrong :P

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Not sure how I missed that :oops:

In regards to my last query, do you think it will be ok to slice and freeze [as the meat was frozen, and defrosted], or just to be safe [ahem] should I aim to nom it all within the week?

I've just ordered some Cure#1, as well as some other items, so I'll be making a lot more bacon soon!
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu May 14, 2015 11:11 pm

You will be fine freezing the bacon after it's sliced; no "need" to eat it all in a few days. :D Be forewarned, once you start making your own bacon, you will not want to buy it again.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby kil2k » Fri May 15, 2015 10:01 am

NCPaul wrote:You will be fine freezing the bacon after it's sliced; no "need" to eat it all in a few days. :D Be forewarned, once you start making your own bacon, you will not want to buy it again.

Good to know - thanks! :)
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Thu May 21, 2015 11:52 am

Sweet baby Jesus. My bacon was ready today.

I don't think I can ever go back to buying shop bacon :shock:
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu May 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Another one on the slippery slope! :lol: :lol:

Enjoy!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kil2k » Thu May 21, 2015 12:48 pm

The only problem I'm having now is my impatience. I've got three of Franco's seasonings to try [El Diablo, Wild Garlic, Garlic & Herb], and I nearly ran to the butchers while still eating my bacon roll to buy more pork belly for bacon. I've already got half a batch of Lincolnshire sausages and several home made wholegrain mustard burgers in the freezer, and this batch of bacon to get through. I just can't eat it fast enough [without putting on some serious timber] :lol:
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu May 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Yup! :D Did you cold smoke the bacon?
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby GUS » Thu May 21, 2015 2:50 pm

:lol: That is "kind of" positive ...running for more meat than running for the toilet!
Time to freeze it (away from reach) & get some more cured.

Congrats.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Thu May 21, 2015 9:48 pm

NCPaul wrote:Yup! :D Did you cold smoke the bacon?

No cold smoking on these three pieces. That'll be a project for another day: first I need to buy some cold smoking equipment! Any suggestions? :mrgreen:

GUS wrote:
Time to freeze it (away from reach)

I think I'm going to struggle with this one. I've had four bacon rolls today, the missus had one, I'm planning to have bacon sandwiches for breakfast tomorrow, and Saturday, and... :lol:
kil2k
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu May 21, 2015 11:34 pm

There is a long thread about these:

http://www.macsbbq.com/cold-smokers

I like three days (or nights) with a rest in the fridge in between uncovered. I like for the temperature outside to be below 60 F. Ignore complaints that this makes things in the fridge smell of smoke, because - bacon. :D
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby kil2k » Fri May 22, 2015 10:45 am

I've read a lot about the ProQ Artisan, so that's a definite purchase. In fact, it was one of the reviews on Amazon that lead to me buying a Tefal Cheese Caveau, and it's marvellous! I was unsure about what to use as a smokehouse though. I've got quite a few materials left over from when I built the decking and a bench last year, so I may just build my own smokehouse!

kil2k
Registered Member

Postby GUS » Fri May 22, 2015 1:00 pm

He-he I know the person to whom you are referring to for that review, ..they are a bloody idiot! :wink:

I mean, marmite, ..wtf, ..fertheloveofgod :lol:
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby kil2k » Fri May 22, 2015 3:55 pm

GUS wrote:He-he I know the person to whom you are referring to for that review, ..they are a bloody idiot! :wink:

I mean, marmite, ..wtf, ..fertheloveofgod :lol:

Ha! The cheese caveau has been far more amazing than either I, or the missus [the look she gave me when I told her what was in the Amazon parcel :P ] expected, so thanks for the tip!

I was supposed to be working all next week, but it looks like I've got Tuesday-Thursday free now. If the weather is good I'll attempt to build a smoke house while the missus is at work :lol:
kil2k
Registered Member

Next

Return to Curing Techniques