Can trichinella live in back fat?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Can trichinella live in back fat?

Postby Weoochaun » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:47 am

I have some pork shoulder in the freezer to kill trichinella. I now realize that I don't have the amount of fat that I need for my recipe.
I want to add some back fat to the salami and wondered if I have to process the back fat in the same way as the red meat to get rid of trichinella.
I would have thought not as i don't think that fat is its natural habitat but I can't find anything conclusive on the net.
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Re: Can trichinella live in back fat?

Postby RodinBangkok » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:18 am

Well its probably a good idea to partially freeze the backfat anyway to get a good clean cut and eliminate any maceration. Because Trichinella is spread by carnivorous species, its quite unlikely that your pork will have any chance of being infected, unless the source is unknown. I see your in Myanmar so unless you know the source of your pork you may want to freeze it, but quite frankly I freeze it anyway to get a very clean cut when grinding.
If your source is suspect I'd be concerned about cross contamination to the fat from the muscle, even if its shown not to exist in the fat normally.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby Weoochaun » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Certainly the source is unknown. Probably a village within 75 Km but what were the pig's living conditions; I have no idea.
I'm not too worried about cross contamination and I certainly will have it nearly frozen before cutting.
Just wondered about the biological aspect of whether trichinella actually can survive in fat tissue.
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Trichinella do not live in fascia or fat. They migrate via the bloodstream and can end up in organs, but they are migrating to skeletal muscle tissue where they trigger the expression of chemicals from surrounding tissue that allow them to turn a muscle cell into a nurse cell, where they encyst.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Weoochaun » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:25 am

Thanks Vagreys, That is what I suspected. I had to look up 'fascia' to make sure I was following you right! Great to know the tech basics. Therefor a thorough wash down to ensure there is no blood should make the fat trichinella free.
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques