Coppa Curing Advice

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Coppa Curing Advice

Postby ericrice » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Currently have 70lbs that have been in the initial refrigerator curing for 17 days now. Unfortunately the temps on the east coast (USA) have been consistently warm for this time of the year. After the initial period in the refrigerator (I usually do 15-18 days) stuffed in bungs and they head down the basement for drying. Temps down there are in the low 60 degree (16-18c) and this whole week is staying warm so I expect temps will remain in that range for the basement.

So my questions is I have never let the coppas go longer than 18 days in the initial refrigerator cure. If I let them go another week what is my risk, overly salty? I also know that the temp suggestion is below 60 degrees (16c) but I believe some time at temps just above that range are not a risk either. I welcome feedback on which course to take.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Coppa Curing Advice

Postby NCPaul » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Unless you are doing a salt box cure, I would say leave them in your fridge. Do you normally rinse or soak them before the drying step?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Coppa Curing Advice

Postby ericrice » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Not the salt box, measured and rubbed. I do normally rinse them but don't soak. I assumed the refrigerator option was the best but wanted so additional opinions. Appreciate the feedback!!
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques