Butchery / Meat Prep for Spalla

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Butchery / Meat Prep for Spalla

Postby db418 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:37 pm

I’ve done a little bit of whole muscle dry curing before (Coppa, Guanciale etc) and thought I’d try something a bit larger that would hang for longer. I’m trying a boned shoulder (Spalla) and thought I’d keep it simple this time by getting the pork ready butchered. However, I’ve struggled to get the shoulder the way I want it, despite what I thought we clear instructions. Anyway, I’ll buy a whole shoulder next time and have a go myself, but I’ve a question on what I’ve got on the go at the moment.

I’ve cured it as a whole joint, but I didn’t apply the salt cure to the inner part of the pork where the bone has been removed. To be honest, I was in a bit of a rush when I applied the cure and probably underestimated the extent to which the joint has been cut into to remove bone. It’s all in one piece, but it’s more butterflied than perhaps I expected (although it doesn’t need rolling much as it’s a good, rounded shape when together).

As I’ve just cured the outside (with skin), I’m now having doubts that that isn’t sufficient with the level separation effectively in the middle of the soon to be tied and hung joint. I’ve used a kosher salt cure (i.e. no curing salt / prague powder) for 6/7 days for a 2kg piece of pork. Will this be OK, or should I have cured the inner section also? Is there any way of making good the inner section if so?

Thanks for the help.

David
db418
Registered Member

Re: Butchery / Meat Prep for Spalla

Postby NCPaul » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I would put some salt on the inside if only for peace of mind. It's hard to get something rolled and tied so tight that there isn't an air gap.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Butchery / Meat Prep for Spalla

Postby db418 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:58 pm

Thank you.I'll put some salt on the inside (as you say) and leave at the bottom of my curing chamber (14°C / 58°F - 70% humidity) for 3/4 days before rinsing and then tying. What do you think? I can't think it will do any harm being sat on a tray (skin side down) rather than hung for a small length of time. I think I just want to wash the inner salt off before hanging. Appreciate your help.

Given what you say, if I'm in the same position again, I'll salt both inside and out when I do the main cure.
db418
Registered Member

Return to Curing Techniques