Coppa - Hang again?

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Coppa - Hang again?

Postby db418 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:23 am

I've just cut into a coppa after a month or so hanging and weight reduction to 68% (final weight just over £1.2kg - humanity and temp control during hang all good). It takes good, but is a little soft, especially for cutting without a mechanical slicer. I've had it in the fridge wrapped in muslin but I'm wondering whether I can re-hang to get it a bit harder. Any advice on whether this is advisable, and whether I should cover the cut end with muslin if so? Thanks for your help.
db418
Registered Member

Re: Coppa - Hang again?

Postby NCPaul » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:38 am

I would re-hang the coppa. You haven't said anything about the curing chamber so I'm guessing that it's a fridge setup.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby db418 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:24 pm

It's a purpose built stainless steel lined cabinet with controlled humidity (70%) and temp (13 degrees c). I have a variable vent which is open to the outside, which gives me decent airflow. I'll rehang - Thanks. I assume I'm just checking this by eye to determine when it's done? I've gone past 30% weight reduction already.
db418
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:29 pm

I'd go by feel. The % weight loss is only an indication - it may need to go to 40% or more to feel right. It often depends on the amount of fat in it.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Curing Techniques