My first 'commercial' bacon

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

Re: My first 'commercial' bacon

Postby bacon.uk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:29 am

Osmosis pulls in the salt, cure and spices at the same time pulls out the liquid --- not the salt. The only way to get the salt out of the meat is to soak it in water (repeated changes of water every 4 hours) for 24 plus hours which defeats the purpose of curing the meat (bacon)

Well I made the assumption that the liquid that drains is a saturated salt solution, but I do not have the means to prove that. Perhaps I can do given time.
bacon.uk
Registered Member

Postby bacon.uk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:36 am

If it is not too bold to ask ... what do you do for a living -- reason that I ask because you said you make your own cure #1.

I am a retired scientist (a mix of chemistry, nuclear physics and pharmaceuticals.) I still like to experiment, the problem with bacon it is about 4 weeks before i can taste the result.
I hope I have got the hang of posting with a quote.
bacon.uk
Registered Member

Postby Shuswap » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:45 pm

BriCan wrote:
Shuswap wrote:
And I thank you again :!:

More than welcome -- Next time up your way must stop by for tea and a chat or something stronger :wink:

Welcome any time Robert, just pm me on facebook
Phil
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:08 am

bacon.uk wrote:
If it is not too bold to ask ... what do you do for a living -- reason that I ask because you said you make your own cure #1.

I am a retired scientist (a mix of chemistry, nuclear physics and pharmaceuticals.) I still like to experiment, the problem with bacon it is about 4 weeks before i can taste the result.
I hope I have got the hang of posting with a quote.

Thats kind of mighty fine credentials (a mix of chemistry, nuclear physics and pharmaceuticals.) :shock:

We generally do not endorse people mixing there own cures cuz it is extremely dangerous and has the potential to kill people :cry: but in your case ............ :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby bacon.uk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:29 pm

We generally do not endorse people mixing there own cures cuz it is extremely dangerous and has the potential to kill people :cry: but in your case ............ :wink:

I Entirely agree, the difference between 'curing salt' and cure #1 and #2 confused me when I first started making my own bacon.
bacon.uk
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Curing Techniques